Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:28 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: V.E. Day
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:05 am 
Walleye

VE DAY

Today Marks the 60th anniversary of VE day …..Victory in Europe. In 1939 Forces of Germany Invaded Poland, The start of World War 2, Britain and France declared war against Hitler and the Third Riche; 8 days later Canada declared war against the axes. Canada immediately starts to immobilize our nation’s youth, One million men and women joined the cause of freedom 45,000 thousand never to see their home again, 55 thousand wounded, in six years of bloody fighting to end Hitler’s terany! As I sit here in the comfort of my living room watching the today’s proceedings, words cannot describe how proud I am of my Father and Mother, who are both veterans of the Second World War!

Watching the veterans of the liberation of Holland in a parade of old WW 2 vehicles. I see how grateful the Nation of Holland is to these once young men…for their sacrifices in the liberation of their country. I see tears in the eyes 85 year old men …and in 6 year old children. My GOD, words can't describe how proud I am of them and to be a Canadian
To listen to the Stories of Hardship, starvation and pure terror the Dutch people were living, till the forces of Canada liberated them in 1945, young men of 19 and 20 who landed on the beaches of Normandy, France June 6th 1944 united in purpose, to end Germanys strangle hold on Europe, and to free it’s people. For their courage and heroism, I thank them, I thank them for what I enjoy today…..A free Nation!!!!!!!Free to pursue what ever path of life I chose! Their Blood that was spilled in so many, countries and cities, towns, villages across that war torn nation, to give me this choice. As time passes we forget that these Brave men and women gave up their youth and their lives for us. We as Canadians have so much to be proud of, a beautiful country, A standard of life second to none………..all because of these Hero’s, ordinary Men and Women , who turned out to be extra ordinary!

THANK-YOU,FROM A PROUD CANADIAN

Phil (Big-O)

Last edited by big-o on Sun May 08, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: VE Day
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

I remain grateful to the many sacrifices that people from all over Canada and abroad gave for us. I have one uncle that was MIA in Holland in January of 1945 and despite never meeting him, I do remember his and many thousands of other Canadians and what they have done for the freedom we enjoy.

My father rarely spoke about the war (he was in the navy), and brought all in our family up.... I believe with a very healthy sence of respect. Thanks for posting about VE Day.

Another Proud Canadian
Don Stokes