banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:45 pm 
Jumbo Perch

It seemed that it took forever for the ice to form to safe thickness, what with December starting off to cold. It seemed as though fishing season was just around the corner. Then the temps started to rise, ice fishing would have to wait.

Now being a walker, running and gunning is a very limited venture, unless I'm willing to hoof it kilometers out and kilometers back. So I fish my normal spots...we all have them...places that always seem to hold fish. Well, this winter, wasn't one of those times, nor was this the 'spot'. With a pressure crack running NW to SE instead of it's normal N to S (normal I mean, most years that how it seems to form), I'm unable to plant myself exactly where I want to be. Unless, I chance crossing said crack. Did one day, but as the temperature rose to above freezing, the little ice bridge wasn't strong enough to hold my girth. Busting through, half of me got soaked, buy managed to get out and back across safely.

Each outing to the bay ended up being skunked. Perhaps I should expand my horizons a bit more and start fishing different areas of the bay. After all, the Beg N Brag is full of useful information. But no, I'm determined to catch something where I always go.

Closing weekend, sadly arrived. I find myself contemplating on driving an extra hour to Hay Bay, or fighting my proverbial white whale on the west end near the Base. Arriving Saturday a bit later than intended, I headed out to the Base. What do I catch...bugger all. Walking in, (thank the Almighty for someone named Smitty. His idea for a sled is truly a Godsend), I was offered a ride from not 1 but 2 kind gentlemen from Pennsylvania. I kindly declined their offer (must've thought I was nuts), but the walk would do me a world of good. Plus I could contemplate my 'game plan' for the next morning. Thank you Randy for the offer, it was a pleasure talking with you. Perhaps next year, our paths will cross and more stories will be shared.

Sunday, closing day, I find myself waking an hour later. Originally the plan was to be there in the pitch black, and fishing before the sun rise. Instead a line doesn't get in the water till about 7. Having the camera set up, the only fish I see are perch no bigger than my lure/minnow combo. Noticing a kink in the line of my second rod, I proceed to retie, glancing up at the camera screen....low & behold holy crap its a walleye. Gently, I place the rod I was working on down, and steadily pick up the other. Giving the line the softest movement, the fish nudges my Sidewinder....I reel up, it follows...I let it drop back down, it keeps following....I pause it...it nudges the lure, and tries to slurp in my minnow but keeps missing...again I reel up, it follows....then there's weight...I snap the rod up and set the hook...FINALLY...a nice 3.5 pounder. Took all winter and a few trips but the albatross falls from my neck. Ended losing another one in the evening just before dark...watched a small school of walleye babies swimming around, all of which were no bigger than the lure/minnow combo.

I figure you only appreciate the good days, if sometimes you have to give it your all and come up empty. Like they say, its called fishing not catching.

Now there's 2 weeks left in the whitefish season...time to end that skunk as well

Hope everyone has a safe year, doing whatever it is you love....Tight lines

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

LOL thanks for sharing. Ive had 'That' season too. Hopefully better luck and better ice next season