Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Down Rigger wiring
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hello.
I am in the process of installing Down Riggers on my boat which is prewired with Scotty down rigger outlets. One of the outlets is wired to my starting battery and the other goes up to my accessories battery. Just looking for some feedback on using the starting battery for the one rigger. I have a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke electric start kicker that I assume is set up to charge the battery. haven't confirmed that yet.

Thanks
Glenn

Post subject: Re: Down Rigger wiring
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

So many ways to do this.

I would just make sure that whatever battery riggers are hooked to, is the same battery your trolling motor is charging, that way it stays topped up. I personally run my riggers off a house battery that is connected to my kicker only. Assuming that kicker is always running when riggers are being used. Riggers can draw a lot of power.

I isolate my mains from kicker/riggers with a house battery just in case. I am a bit paranoid though, many times i am 20 KMs out by myself.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Sounds good. Your down riggers off the same battery being charged by your kicker motor. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:46 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I have a suggestion that might help on your battery wiring.

I don't have a down rigger, but I do have a trolling motor that I use all the time. I'm also bobbing around a longways out so I'm a little paranoid about my starting battery.

I have a Blue Sea Automatic Charging Relay (ARC) https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.c ... 2085076016 , there's a bigger one if required.
This ACR is easy to wire and protects your starting battery voltage.

How it works is the starting and house (trolling motor) batteries are connected in parallel so that the running gas motor constantly charges both batteries. The house battery runs the big voltage items. The ACR prevents the house battery from drawing on the starting battery. This means you'll only drain the house battery and still have sufficient starting voltage in your starting battery.
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resourc ... 014350.pdf

When I'm not running my gas motor and just using my trolling motor, my trolling motor won't drain my starting battery. When I use my gas motor both batteries charge as usual.

The ACR also allows your to charge both batteries by charging either one. In my case, I have a single bank charger that is connected to my house battery and it also charges my starting battery.

I've used this setup for about 12 yrs on two different boats and have never drained a staring battery. I also carry one of those Lithium jumps starters as well.
Like I said, I'm paranoid.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks guys for the help! I am still working on getting them installed. No real hurry and like to do things right. I too like to be prepared and don't want to get stranded because I could have been set up better. And I will definitely look into that ACR Robin thanks.Hope to be already for trouting in the fall/spring Virus permitting of course.

I must say, the boat sure is getting clean and shiny:). I own it with my 92 year old father and hope and pray that I get to take him out in it again. We bought it last spring so that he would be more safe and comfortable than in my old boat.
Sad to think that some people, me included, may never get to spend time with our parents again. My mother is in a long term care facility.

Glenn

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:00 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I agree with you Glenn. I volunteered in a convalescent unit where many elderly people transitioned from their homes to long term care. Lots of stories of younger days and fishing with family was a common one. Sad to think many would never get out again. I hope you can get your dad out and enjoy fishing in the sun.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:22 am 
Baitfish

Roblin..
Very interested in your set-up with the m-ACR ... have a Lowe 165 & 50 Merc...run my downrigger off the Motor Battery.
Would you take a look at my wiring set-up..can't post an attachment here
My email is jmbonn@me.com
Thanks!
...John

Lowe 165 - Merc 50 - Lowrance Hook2-5

banner ad