Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Quinte Sportsman Show
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:39 am 
Walleye Fry

D-wayne wrote:
I am having a tough time wrapping my head around the panic of this latest in a long line of flue viruses.

Most folks here can remember the wicked flue of 22years ago. I remember that everyone who got it lost a lot of weight in the few days of illness.
The numbers in comparison to the swine flu is staggering low and yet there was no shut down.
Italian numbers show a death rate lower than malaria that is an ongoing thing.

This really needs to be put into perspective.

Wrap your head around this my friend. Italy has run out of ventilators. The problem with this is that if the spread isn’t contained and everyone get sick at the same time.... let’s just say we have 125 ventilators for the Ottawa general hospital. The icu capacity is 32 people. We are currently at 80% capacity right now with most patients already immunocompromised. The whole idea that it only affects the elderly is wrong ! It can put young people in a situation where they may need to be intubated and ventilated. People in their 30 and 40’s have a better chance of getting better just by being younger. So if we are to get to a situation like they had in China and Italy in that ventilators are scarce the old may be sacrificed for the young who have a better chance of survival. This was their reality .

Do we need to rush out and buy toilet paper like a bunch of fools ? NO !!

Should we sacrifice the next month, distance ourselves socially and wash your hands. YES

There is no need to panic, but the people who think that this is not a big deal and continue living as if nothing is wrong will get infected at some point and will infect someone else that may die from this.

This post is not intended to scare anyone. I am a registered nurse in the Icu at the general and what I want people to understand is if we all do our part this will pass soon with some fatalities. If we are ignorant there will be many deaths.

So avoid large gatherings, wash your hands regularly and check in on elderly neighbours. God bless everyone and be safe. Hopefully I’ll see you peeps on the water this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:39 am 
Walleye Master

Ranger619 wrote:
D-wayne wrote:
I am having a tough time wrapping my head around the panic of this latest in a long line of flue viruses.

Most folks here can remember the wicked flue of 22years ago. I remember that everyone who got it lost a lot of weight in the few days of illness.
The numbers in comparison to the swine flu is staggering low and yet there was no shut down.

Wrap your head around this my friend. Italy has run out of ventilators. The problem with this is that if the spread isn’t contained and everyone get sick at the same time.... let’s just say we have 125 ventilators for the Ottawa general hospital. The icu capacity is 32 people. We are currently at 80% capacity right now with most patients already immunocompromised. The whole idea that it only affects the elderly is wrong ! It can put young people in a situation where they may need to be intubated and ventilated. People in their 30 and 40’s have a better chance of getting better just by being younger. So if we are to get to a situation like they had in China and Italy in that ventilators are scarce the old may be sacrificed for the young who have a better chance of survival. This was their reality .

Should we sacrifice the next month, distance ourselves socially and wash your hands. YES

There is no need to panic, but the people who think that this is not a big deal and continue living as if nothing is wrong will get infected at some point and will infect someone else that may die from this.

This post is not intended to scare anyone. I am a registered nurse in the Icu at the general and what I want people to understand is if we all do our part this will pass soon with some fatalities. If we are ignorant there will be many deaths.

So avoid large gatherings, wash your hands regularly and check in on elderly neighbours. God bless everyone and be safe. Hopefully I’ll see you peeps on the water this summer

Thank you for injecting realistic logic! I agree wholeheartedly with your statement, it’s not about us 20-50 year olds it’s about the ends of the spectrum and who we infect with out careless approach.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:14 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I asked a simple question about the show people. We are all big boys and girls here, we can decide what actions are right for us and our families.

Let's not let this virus infect this great site.

Get out there and go fishing people, sounds like the trout are biting.... and take me with you, I ahve not been fishing since October. lol

Be safe, be happy.

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:07 am 
Walleye Master

Wanna go tomorrow Jim? I’ll take you

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

BigMac wrote:
Wanna go tomorrow Jim? I’ll take you

BigMac,

I am game any time. I am off work recovering from surgery, but cleared to drive now, with lots of free time. Just can't lift fish over 10 pounds for a few more weeks. lol. Send me a pm or email.

JimW
jjwsanderman@gmail.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

DanElliot wrote:
The biggest thing that this is trying to address is the load on the health care system. In Italy they have ICU patients in hallways and medical workers are overcome. The goal is to slow the spread so that our hospitals don't crash. In China they built hospitals within a couple weeks just so they could cope. We could never do that here. Just trying to slow the spread

True... Could not do that here do to a spineless government that never gives any penalties to contracts that are Not on Time, and never on budget!! Let alone our regulations.... plus we have unions. Yup, could never build hospitals here that fast.

We have hallway medicine before this, so we will really be stretched thin now.

There's a lot of media hype, but it is a serious situation.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:25 pm 
Walleye

Ranger619 wrote:
D-wayne wrote:

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:30 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Sportsman Show organizer despondent after social media beating

https://www.quintenews.com/2020/03/16/s ... a-beating/

Jeff Cox tells Quinte News he was “raked over the coals” after a deluge of thousands of social media comments criticizing the fact that the show continued over the weekend despite escalating worry about the spread of the new coronavirus.

Really feel sorry for this guy. The event was held within the rules at the time. He shouldn't be beat up for running it.

It was individual choice to go or not go.

I hope everything works out and the Sportsman Show continues.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That is an unfortunate outcome hopefully after some time for this to pass, the organizer will consider running the show next year. Unfortunately I bet the vast majority of the social media bashing were people that would have never gone to the show virus spreading around or not.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Good ole social media.... balls

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:11 pm 
Walleye

I went crowds were visibly down, I was in closer contact with more people the night before at NoFrills,

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm 
Walleye

So. It has been 5 days since this posted was last visited. Is everyone clued in now ?

Be safe. If not for yourself, then the ones you care for.

Regards

banner ad
banner ad