Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question about crappie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Am I too early to try and catch crappie? I was hoping to get out in the kayak soon, but a bit nervous to try fishing lake trout.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

That being said, if there was a kayak fisherman that wanted to show me the ropes of fishing lakers from a kayak I'd be interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:46 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Water is still too cold for the crappie to come into shallow bays. Once the water hits 50° you'll be all set

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:59 am 
Walleye

Anytime is a good time for crappie, I fish them right after ice out. Start on north side back bays or feeder creeks of flooded areas, this gets most sun. The crappies are just feeding this time of year and are hungry. They are eating little creatures and minnows. Check shoreline wood and wash up as they use this for cover. If u can't find them on the banks just keep moving out deeper until u find them. They may be staging right in front on the first little drop. When u do find them it's party time. I like to start with little maggots then move to jigs once they get feeding and don't forget little cranks on top.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 am 
Walleye Wisdom

boqbass wrote:
Anytime is a good time for crappie, I fish them right after ice out. Start on north side back bays or feeder creeks of flooded areas, this gets most sun. The crappies are just feeding this time of year and are hungry. They are eating little creatures and minnows. Check shoreline wood and wash up as they use this for cover. If u can't find them on the banks just keep moving out deeper until u find them. They may be staging right in front on the first little drop. When u do find them it's party time. I like to start with little maggots then move to jigs once they get feeding and don't forget little cranks on top.

Wonderful. Lets go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm 
Walleye

Hey Dave give me a call and we'll go out and give them a shot. With the current virus situation fishing together might have to wait a bit though. I hope to drop the boat in this week and start poking around here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:01 am 
Walleye

the crappie will be close to the shallow areas if they aren't in shallow yet seeking warm water. we are still a good few weeks away from a spawn. If I was on the ice right now id be fishing less then 4 ft of water.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:28 am 
Walleye Angler

boqbass wrote:

Good advice
I can never seem to find them right at ice out, when the water temp gets into the 50s what you are saying is exactly what I do with success but whiles its in the 40s they seem to disappear on me, I look for them suspending on the first drop off, out in the closest main basin but nothing.

banner ad