Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Pimp my boat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am 
Minnow

Hi everyone, reading all these great early season fishing reports has my thinking about the boat and what I'd like to try this year. And since the financial market is going to crap I might as well invest in toys so I'm hoping everyone can have some fun spending my money :)

I've got a lund 1650 rebel sport (full windshield) with a 90hp etec (the newer one) on the back and a 80lb ulterrra with ipilot on the bow. This is the model with the angled sport track system on the inside. I've got 2 helix 7s for finders, one at the console (side and down imaging) one up front by the trolling motor. I've got a few basic rod holders which I use when trolling around big bay or other lakes.

This boats been amazing for typical lake stuff but I'd like to get into laker trolling (when safe - this isn't a major big water boat - I know that) and also your typical quinte 'eye fishing in the fall - situations where you're talking planer boards, dipsies, snap ons, down riggers and so on.

So if this was your setup and you wanted to go laker fishing like the recent great posts have been showing what would you be adding? Let's assume I have nothing but basic rod holders and your typical mix of casting and jigging gear. I'd be curious to hear of changes/additions to the boat and your list of "must have" gear.

Here's a couple picture to show the amount of space we're talking about

Post subject: Re: Pimp my boat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:32 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Just watch the weather like a hawk and don't be afraid to run from the weather if need be.

You should have few problems on the edge of the lake.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:46 am 
Walleye

As Super said watch the weather and wave forecast "Windifinder" is a great free ap,
The cheapest way would be to use a dipsy with gang troll and spoon, don't need magnum the small or medium work for me, get bait down usually 20-30ft, check the charts for line length, pic shows you have a rod holder, 8-9 foot med or MH rod with line counter reel, I use 30lb+ braid to diver then 5-6' of 15-20lb fluoro to gang troll, then 18-24" 15lb fluoro to lure, whole set up diver to lure should be length of rod.
That being said the divers account for 30% of my fish most days, down riggers account for the rest, in spring with no fleas I run 15lb big game on 8ft M rigger rods, first time we ventured out the 2 lines with gang trolls accounted for 14 of the 19 hits, so now its a gang troll on all lines, I started using some small lake trolls I had from years past, now I tie my own using 40lb maxima #5-4-3 Colorado or willow-leaf blades in hammered nickle. They are 8ft long with 5 blades 7" apart starting 20" from spoon, I just clip the whole thing to back of diver.
It's not the only way to catch em, its what I do for decent success.
Good luck
B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:54 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Bayboy,

Adding down-riggers to your boat would be great fish catching tools for Lake Trout. You could purchase a couple Lund 45 deg track brackets with universal down-rigger mounting plates. The brackets would accept any brand of down-rigger you select and install. Also, the brackets would allow you to remove the riggers, when not needed. Maybe you can find a matching set of used riggers. Its a good time to find things on sale.

BATMAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:52 pm 
Minnow

Thanks guys. Yep - definitely would be picking my days on the big lake very carefully. I also spend a week up in the Temagami area (Lake Kipawa) where I'd like to try trolling for the lakers there (down ~40-50 feet so maybe just dipseys?). Never tried gang trolls before though I've seen them - will have to give that a shot.

@Batman: any idea on local (GTA to Kingston) places what would carry brackets (yes I can phone around but you guys know everything)? I keep seeing the cisco mounts coming up as a great choice but would have to order from the states - would be nice to get something setup local that might have the full set (brackets, adaptors, riggers) vs a bunch of separate purchases.

Keep the ideas coming,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm 
Walleye

Couple lead core rod set ups would be great investment. Lead can be tricky at first but once you get the hang of it it works for everything.
Couple tips
Use planer boards to get away from boat
Always keep tension on line when putting out, Clicker or thumb.Bird nest easy.
Bring in the inside board on a turn until you are use to it or the water is deep. They sink and snag.
Unless you are fishing salmon and trout all time. It’s way cheaper then riggers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Bayboy,

The Lund parts are available on Amazon.ca or Bayview Marine in Trenton could order them for you.

BATMAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:52 pm 
Walleye Master

I second the leadcore option. 5-10 colours be great. Also a set of snap weights from offshore. 2-3oz snap 50/50 with a spoon works great.

You don’t need to get gang trolls... light trolling spoons like stingers, dreamweavers etc work great clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:49 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If you are looking at getting some leadcore set ups, and want to save some money and space in the boat you can run "split leadcore" set ups. I use several. I splice a section of mono or braid between two of the colours of leadcore. So if I want to run 5 colours I let out the 5 colours then attach my inline planer board to the section of mono and then let out more line to send the board to the side. If I want to run deep I let out all 10 colours (5 colours then the mono section then the other 5 colour).

I have not fished Lake Kipawa for almost 30 years, but dipseys could work for lake trout, but we always had our best success running downriggers just off bottom, this was in August though.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:46 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Man, there are TONS of valuable info in this one Link.

Should be saved for future reference.

Hugs, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:35 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the ideas everyone - here's to a great soft water season for everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm 
Walleye

tbayboy wrote:
Thanks guys. Yep - definitely would be picking my days on the big lake very carefully. I also spend a week up in the Temagami area (Lake Kipawa) where I'd like to try trolling for the lakers there (down ~40-50 feet so maybe just dipseys?). Never tried gang trolls before though I've seen them - will have to give that a shot.

@Batman: any idea on local (GTA to Kingston) places what would carry brackets (yes I can phone around but you guys know everything)? I keep seeing the cisco mounts coming up as a great choice but would have to order from the states - would be nice to get something setup local that might have the full set (brackets, adaptors, riggers) vs a bunch of separate purchases.

Keep the ideas coming,
Cisco can be purchased in Ontario. I think the already mentioned Bay Marine has ordered before.

I purchased my cradle holders from Angling Outfitter in Woodstock. They stock cisco products. Heck they stock everything. I dont want to take away from any of our local shops but they dont carry the inventory like Angling Outfitter s do.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

banner ad