banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stay home or fish
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:26 am 
Walleye Wisdom

What to do? With COVID-19 in the community, for myself, I think it's best to hold off fishing. Pretty much every day I think about being out and I'm going spinny waiting.

I don't think I have COVID-19, but with up to a 14 day incubation how would you know? Literally everything I touch starts the 14 days all over again. Every door handle, gas nozzle, coffee at the drive through, fishing lure you take off the display to look at, keypad you push, mail you pick up, surface you touch, person you get too close could carry the virus.

I'm always sanitizing but that's not a guarantee I won't inadvertently scratch my nose or rub my eye. It's so easy to do.

I received a Purolator box the other day. I was momentarily stupid and took the box from the courier before he set it down. He should have been screaming at me to "stay the hell away".

I felt terrible. He surely has a family, maybe kids and I could have inadvertently contaminated him, or he me. I have a wife and family as well. I went in the house and changed my clothes and sanitized and hoped that everything was OK.

My daughter is a health care worker and found an elderly client lying about their isolation after a trip. She doesn't have enough personal protection equipment so she uses it sparingly and then the client lies. She helps people, she has a family and people lie.

Am I paranoid? You bet I'm paranoid.

I don't want to get, give it or be a burden on health care.

Please be safe and stay well.

Post subject: Re: Stay home or fish
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 am 
Walleye

Roblin
I hear you, my wife due to existing health issues and age is at extreme risk, I have gone into self imposed isolation, last shopping trip was earlier this week, making arrangements for someone to pick up groceries.
The only people allowed into house are her daily health care workers, they are screened and asking us the 4 questions before each visit. They are well aware of the social distancing issue. The client who lied should be fined, public endangerment? They should be denied service for an extra 14 days quarantine.
I know the lakers in the gap are a calling, being out on the water solo shouldn't pose a virus risk, normal safety issues haven't gone away. Launching solo from the ramp at Finkles is no joy at the best of times, don't fancy trying solo with my boat.
I am going to wait, spend my "fishing time" tying extra worm harness, meat rigs and cow bells. Thank goodness for amazon.
Once the water warms up my dock guy has promised to come around to fix me up, I will watch from window and pay him via e-transfer. I can then self launch at Deseronto assuming the town is putting the dock in this year?
After that gas is the only concern, from my dock to the gap is a 30 minute blast. If weather does not cooperate I will wait it out till Walleye opener.
We all need to be pulling in the same direction, almost every country is enacting some form of isolation, general idea is work if your a necessary service, go home do get near anybody that does not live in your house. Do not get closer than 6ft to your kids, grandkids or parents, no Easter Dinner , Birthday or what ever else family gathering, A tough call but if you do ignore the medical advise your putting your loved ones at risk and I for one want to be able to sleep at night.
Take care, stay healthy.
B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 am 
Walleye Angler

Most people who carry the virus will have no or very mild symptoms treat everyone except those you live with as if they they have it treat every surface as if it is on it. Hopefully social distancing will limit the spread.

Last edited by horsehunter on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great post, Roblin and really, really makes you think.

I drove to Alabama for the BM Classic a couple of weeks back. I immediately self-isolated and have been working from home for 18 days now.

Hey - at least we're in the same boat, thinking about the incubation and resetting if and when I go out? Does that count as fishing / boating? ;-)

I was to be off today (flex) and was hoping to get out somewhere, but if I'm to stay home even after my self-isolation, why bother.

I'd like to even just go for a hike along the creeks but does that mean I'm not being conscious enough about what's happening?

My wife works as a health care worker as well and although she's still working, this also brings up a lot of possibilities for badness.

BTW - I think they should also get a bump in danger pay raises like (deserving) front-line workers (Costco, Walmart etc) are getting.

Social Media has been killing me so trying to stay away...

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 am 
Walleye

legacy wrote:
Great post, Roblin and really, really makes you think.

I drove to Alabama for the BM Classic a couple of weeks back. I immediately self-isolated and have been working from home for 18 days now.

Hey - at least we're in the same boat, thinking about the incubation and resetting if and when I go out? Does that count as fishing / boating? ;-)

I was to be off today (flex) and was hoping to get out somewhere, but if I'm to stay home even after my self-isolation, why bother.

I'd like to even just go for a hike along the creeks but does that mean I'm not being conscious enough about what's happening?

My wife works as a health care worker as well and although she's still working, this also brings up a lot of possibilities for badness.

BTW - I think they should also get a bump in danger pay raises like (deserving) front-line workers (Costco, Walmart etc) are getting.

Social Media has been killing me so trying to stay away...

Cheers!

You were recently in the States and your wife is working or did she isolate14days before going back to work?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

I've been tempted to go but decided to lock down for 14 days and will re-evaluate then

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:22 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

No...I called the Health Unit when I returned and at that time, this wasn't necessarily the suggestion when symptom free.

Keep in mind when I returned, this was still somewhat in it's infancy. When I told my work team I was self-isolating, they thought I was crazy! Then everything went for a dump!

I immediately washed all my stuff and am a hand sanitizer and dish soap junky!

Her work did the screening and were cautious but they had no issue with her coming in. Again, early on in this chaos.

...guess fishing would suck anyway, with all the sanitizer and dish soap smells coming from us. Yeah - I'll go with that! :-)

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:28 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

May this be a lesson to those who feel they have to get away just because they can. The velocity of this virus' ability to spread tells me this might be here to stay regardless of whether they develop a vaccine. So once we find a way to deal with what this shite show leaves behind and you still feel the need to travel, there is a whole country to discover right here. Every place else can be accessed via a click of a mouse complete with HD pictures and history.. Stay safe everyone.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hi assmonkey,

Real good point about the internet. I travel to a new place if the world almost daily. Also learn the history. Lots of the spots look overrated and I'm glad I didn't spend the money to find out.

Love surfing Canada. I'm hoping for a Canadian fishing trip this fall. Hopefully things clear up enough by then. Who knows, fingers crossed.

Keep well

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guys,

Going to your favourite fish spot right should not be on your to do list. On the top of the list is doing what Ever you can do to flatten the curve. Or if you are in the US, bend the curve. Trump can’t say flatten since Canadians came up with the saying, “flatten the curve”. Right now is a great time to surf the internet and learn as much about new fishing techniques as we can. Shore fishing for Crappie will shortly ne prime where I live. I will be passing on this opportunity. I think I will order more fishing tackle on line and support CAN and US fishing tackle company. When we come out of this I will be ready for the 2020 fishing season no matter how late it starts.

BATMAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Roblin wrote:
Hi assmonkey,

Real good point about the internet. I travel to a new place if the world almost daily. Also learn the history. Lots of the spots look overrated and I'm glad I didn't spend the money to find out.

Love surfing Canada. I'm hoping for a Canadian fishing trip this fall. Hopefully things clear up enough by then. Who knows, fingers crossed.

Keep well

I wouldn't come here, the people are F**kin nuts.. just read some of the posts from ranger and BWHdeseront...

disregard this post above, i was hard on the rum yesterday, got the kung flu this morning. Fishing is back on, come on up, we would love to have you.

Last edited by biff on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:58 pm 
Walleye Catcher

We LOVE our Forum, and HUGE kudos to Danny for hanging in to keep it going!!!

BUT we HATE to seeing it turn into a peeing match for yays 'n nays about a freak'n VIRUS which has NOTHING to do with what we love about our Sport, or this Forum.

PLEASE leave it alone for what it is supposed to do, and let other Forums worry about stuff which none of us have control over. A single comment can start a Firestorm, just look at recent posts here.

Btw; We hope our Frontliners remain safe, God bless'em. Simply cannot thank them with mere words.

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:59 pm 
Walleye Catcher

We LOVE our Forum, and HUGE kudos to Danny for hanging in to keep it going!!!

BUT we HATE the Thought of it turning into a peeing match for yays 'n nays about a freak'n VIRUS which has NOTHING to do with what we love about our Sport, or this Forum.

PLEASE leave it to do what it is supposed to do. Allow other Forums to worry about stuff which we have no control over. A single comment can start a Firestorm; look some recent posts here.

Btw; We hope our Front-liners remain safe, God bless'em. Cannot thank them enough with mere words.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad