Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Rec'd this tonight, shows the concern about social interaction.

" WA Dept of Fish & Wildlife: "...we're temporarily closing recreational fishing and shellfishing statewide in response to Gov Jay Inslee's order directing Washingtonians to stay home and stay healthy to limit the spread of coronavirus."

> "To go fishing you generally have to load up your car and boat and travel somewhere, often stopping to get gas, snacks, bait and more. This puts you in contact with others, which is what we are trying to prevent."

> "With public accesses closed, it could also concentrate people in areas of private launches and fishing areas, which defeats the purpose."

F Y I

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Bluffers launch and parking lot are now closed and barricaded I think this is shaping up to become the fishing season that wasn't. With Covid 19 and the high water forecast for the great lakes I can see launches many located in parks closed and many marinas particularly municipal ones not putting in their docks or opening. I would also guess your toys are now worth considerably less than last year if you decided or were forced to sell. People for the most part are going to have a lot less disposable income and greater things weighing on their minds than recreation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:11 pm 
Walleye Catcher

naw, fishing season is on !

for those that are barricaded at home, there is some fantastic new products on the market from that amazonian :

These sting at bit at first, but you get used to it. I first tried them about 15 years ago but man they work !

Once applied, or re-applied, go fishing !!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I would imagine the welfare of staff and social distancing will slow down the start to spring and if the virus is still with us, it should. Hopefully any delay won't be too long, but priorities first.

I was just reading an article on Fox News. They have a short video showing cell phone movement during March break. From one beach all those people and potential carriers spread all over the U.S.. It's scary and shows how easy it is for the virus to come to your door.

https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/status/ ... oxnews.com

Situations like this, especially if it hits close, makes me rethink what's really important. The toys are just toys and the fishing can wait. Health, family, friends and community are what matter.

Keep well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:12 am 

It's starting in Canada, Nova Scotia delays the fishing opener.

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/amp/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/start-of-sportfishing-season-delayed-at-least-a-month-2206485

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 am 
Walleye Fry

As much as it pains me to say it, the reality of our current situation would require a hold like everything else. Front line workers have too much on their plates right now. The last thing they need is to treat fishermen for hypothermia etc......

We stay at work for you , Please stay at home for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 am 
Walleye

For anyone who considers self isolation not worth the effort and a personal intrusion consider this. My wife/fishing and golfing partner of 48 years in in the midst of treatment for her second cancer in four years. We are being told that because it is recurrent and there is no surgical option she is palliative, however we are also told that with aggressive treatment there is a good chance for a significant remission..
Throughout this journey we have had a very dedicated Dr. and cancer care team who have been very frank and honest with us at each step. Yesterday we got a call to tell us that because of Covid-19 the protocols for her care would change, she would no longer be seeing Dr. in person, she will call after blood work has been done to discuss treatment and I can no longer accompany her for her seven hour long chemotherapy. I.n addition we discussed the future and our Dr. was very honest, should the hospital be overwhelmed with virus cases all out-patient treatments would be reviewed and possibly suspended.
So you might be healthy as a horse and not at risk but when you go out you run the risk of infecting someone else and indirectly causing harm to someone whose life depends on chemotherapy, stem cell therapy or kidney dialysis. If your not smart enough to self isolate for yourself do it for those of us that are already in danger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:34 am 

Bassn51

We're all pulling for you.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:19 pm 
Walleye

Bassn51
Very well put, our thoughts are with you.
Unfortunately we can't fix stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Bassn51

It's a tough time, especially for anyone with medical issues. I hope your wife's treatments can go ahead and are successful. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:51 pm 
Walleye Master

I think I'd feel safer at a boat launch than I do in a grocery store or at work. Maybe not on opening weekend of course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

So how does it fare if you have your own boat ramp and won't be in contact with anyone but myself.... I can't go fishing, for real?

When 3 weeks goes by, 4 weeks goes by we'll just how crazy people start getting.

Not hard to distance yourselves at boat ramps... but all competitions should be postponed.

I feel for everyone affected by this, my wife is a nurse.... but we have to reasonable IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 pm 
Walleye Fry

teppy wrote:
So how does it fare if you have your own boat ramp and won't be in contact with anyone but myself.... I can't go fishing, for real?

When 3 weeks goes by, 4 weeks goes by we'll just how crazy people start getting.

Not hard to distance yourselves at boat ramps... but all competitions should be postponed.

I feel for everyone affected by this, my wife is a nurse.... but we have to reasonable IMO.

Reasonable ????? I’m very happy that most people don’t think this way. Why don’t you turn on the tv and see how crazy people are in New York right now or in Italy, Spain or France. Is fishing that important to you ? Does your boat require fuel, oil ? I hope nothing happens to you on the water like an engine that won’t start. Who is going to help you ? Are you going to paddle yourself back ? Fall in the water are you going to the hospital? Very disappointing to hear someone talk like this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:01 pm 
Walleye Master

Everyone is different. Ive jumped off trains halfway between Armstrong and Manitoba at 2:00 in the morning and paddled a canoe 20 miles north from there and never worried about it. If something happened, you dealt with it. Such it is. It was one of the best trips of my life.
My mother rang the bell 4 months ago before this all started because she beat cancer. Im very proud of her, but Im not going to visit her. Nor am i going to risk any other person. I do talk with her regularly. I do support her the best i can.
But reality check people. We've had bad viruses before. And we will have them again. Look at the stats. How many people die of pneumonia each year, how many died of h1n1, how many die of cancer? Is that acceptable? Is that to be forgotten?
We should be washing our hands regularly anyway. And if we are sick, no matter what the reason, we should be avoiding the elderly and less healthy anyway. They are always at a risk.
No one wants to get sick and no normal person wants to hurt anyone. But this panicking wil hurt more people in more ways than most realize.

No one likes that people die and no one hates it more than me.
But I'll be out fishing. I'm not going out to hurt anyone and don't tell me i am. I'll stick to myself through this. Life is too short. For all of us whether you know it or not. I know that all too well.
So if you can't understand what i'm saying, that's ok. I won't judge you, but don't judge me either for doing what i love to do while i still can.
So listen to the tv and stay at home if that is what you think is best, but hopefully I'll see some of you out there enjoying yourselves fishing too.
Either way, i hope everyone stays safe wherever you are.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 pm 
Walleye Fry

I wish I could stay at home and watch tv. However I’m stuck treating people with the “flu”. So go out and do what you love to do and hopefully the rest of us can too at some point.

banner ad