It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Latest Update From OFAH
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:32 pm 
Walleye

https://www.ofah.org/covid19closures/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I was looking at the OFAH list and they were missing Belleville, Prince Edward County, Quinte West and Deseronto. They failed to mention that all Napanee launches are closed and the Cataraqui Conservation launch on Hay Bay at the Loyalist church is closed.

I believe that all campgrounds, private and public are also closed as part of the Emergency Order.

If that's the case and I'm reading right, then pretty much all access to FMZ 20 Bay of Quinte is closed until at least the 12th of May.

Be interesting to see if tickets are handed out for not maintaining 2 m separation in a boat.

Last edited by Roblin on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:08 pm 
Perch

Roblin wrote:
I was looking at the OFAH list and they were missing Belleville, Prince Edward County, Quinte West and Deseronto. They failed to mention that all Napanee launches are closed and the Cataraqui Conservation launch on Hay Bay at the Loyalist church is closed.

I believe that all campgrounds, private and public are also closed as part of the Emergency Order.

If that's the case and I'm reading right, then all access to FMZ 20 is closed until at least the 12th of May.

Be interesting to see if tickets are handed out for not maintaining 2 m separation in a boat.

You could still use a private ramp to launch from.

As well, a private marina with a ramp could still allow use of the ramp if done on a self serve basis.

And there is no provincial law/order about 2 metre distancing....it is just a strong recommendation.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:02 am 
Walleye Angler

All private marinas will only allow the use of the ramp if you can prove your principal residence is on that body of water. That goes for any service providers who launch boats on private water bodies for anyone. Also FYI from pretty reliable source. It is true there are several non municipal launches still open and you could launch and go fishing but be warned cause if a local calls the police to complain for any reason they must respond and the owner of the trailered vehicle will receive a $700 ticket in the mail! They are not actively looking for violators but if called must issue the ticket. Expensive crappies!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

New updates are available

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 am 
Walleye Wisdom

jignpigman wrote:
All private marinas will only allow the use of the ramp if you can prove your principal residence is on that body of water. That goes for any service providers who launch boats on private water bodies for anyone. Also FYI from pretty reliable source. It is true there are several non municipal launches still open and you could launch and go fishing but be warned cause if a local calls the police to complain for any reason they must respond and the owner of the trailered vehicle will receive a $700 ticket in the mail! They are not actively looking for violators but if called must issue the ticket. Expensive crappies!!

Thanks...

I am sooooo confused.

I understand...stay home!

What I don't get is hearing "travel if only necessary" and people are being pulled over to be asked why they're on the road / travelling and making sure those in vehicles are from the same household.

If this is the case, and the police pull you over to ask where you're going or as indicated above you get a trailer ticket, isn't that harassment?

Some ramps are open and even Ford said "“If people want to make sure of their social distance and they’re on the shore and they want to throw a reel and hook in the water then by all means.” Walleye season is scheduled to open the third Saturday in May.

...guess he's not much of a fisher or goes thru a lot of reels! ;-) Also, walleye opens the first weekend in May. :-(

Again...yes I am aware...stay home!

My wife comes home with stories about people at work getting pulled over and being told their passenger, whom they just worked side by side with as a PSW, has to be in the back seat and am reading similar things on social media (it's gotta be true, right?!? ;-) ...again, although not encouraged, I would consider that harassment for sure.

So then, if they're ticketing trucks and trailers, should they snot do the same for the parked cars at the walking trails off of Taylor Kidd for example?

Not trying to stir the pot here...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:47 am 
Walleye Catcher

First I am hearing anything about that, yes definitely harassment and tyrannical. No one can make you stay home or pull you over and ask where your going, its against your rights. Bottom line is, you can fish and move freely as you please.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Paul,
It definitely creates uncertainty when you hear things like that. I hope municipalities decide to open back up boat launches but only allow local residences to use them, with proof of residence, as we work past the peak and slowly loosen things up a bit. My son and I who reside in the same house have fingers crossed but fear its going to be a while. Anyone in Belleville with a private launch I can use please send me a PM lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:08 am 
Walleye Catcher

We are the same. Dad and I fish together all the time basically only him and I and maybe my son the odd time. We live together. All of it. My birthday is opening weekend and always look forward to spending my birthday on the water

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:40 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks everyone...

I wondered about the being pulled over but my wife insists people have been at her work and 1 was told if the person in the passenger seat doesn't get in the back, they're facing fines.

This comment is still 1 that concerns me and follows the along these (harassment) thoughts, IMO...

"It is true there are several non municipal launches still open and you could launch and go fishing but be warned cause if a local calls the police to complain for any reason they must respond and the owner of the trailered vehicle will receive a $700 ticket in the mail"

If we're allowed to travel using safe measures of course, how can you then be ticketed?

It's all as clear as mud to me...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 pm 
Walleye Catcher

legacy wrote:
Thanks everyone...

I wondered about the being pulled over but my wife insists people have been at her work and 1 was told if the person in the passenger seat doesn't get in the back, they're facing fines.

This comment is still 1 that concerns me and follows the along these (harassment) thoughts, IMO...

"It is true there are several non municipal launches still open and you could launch and go fishing but be warned cause if a local calls the police to complain for any reason they must respond and the owner of the trailered vehicle will receive a $700 ticket in the mail"

If we're allowed to travel using safe measures of course, how can you then be ticketed?

It's all as clear as mud to me...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

There were several stories on social media a few weeks ago claiming that officers were stopping vehicles to specifically check their reason for traveling.

There are many reasons for the police to stop a vehicle, check the occupants and may even ask where the vehicle is going, none of it having anything to do with Covid-19.

The OPP have addressed these stories stating that they are false.

Police are educating and enforcing violations of by-laws made pursuant to Emergency Orders and may ask questions in relation to those violations.

I had to go to Kingston with my wife yesterday and other than everything is closed, there was nothing out of the ordinary. Even passed several police cruisers without being stopped, harassed, molested or in anyway have my rights infringed.

Of course, I wasn't looking for trouble either.

What I did notice was that Kingston, Loyalist and Napanee have big concrete barriers across their ramps.

The two boat showrooms on Bath Rd. were all lock up tight and the Collins Bay Marina hadn't put anything in the water.

Just have to be patient and everything will sort out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:15 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Roblin wrote:
There were several stories on social media a few weeks ago claiming that officers were stopping vehicles to specifically check their reason for traveling.

There are many reasons for the police to stop a vehicle, check the occupants and may even ask where the vehicle is going, none of it having anything to do with Covid-19.

The OPP have addressed these stories stating that they are false.

Police are educating and enforcing violations of by-laws made pursuant to Emergency Orders and may ask questions in relation to those violations.

They are full of it, either the officer lied as to why they stopped them or the big kahuna is trying to stop potential unrest. I know of 2 people in a different circumstance that was told they were stopped due to a covid-19 probable or possible infraction. One was on his way to work and had to prove it by showing his essential workers letter of employment. The other was a daughter of mine stopped on a major highway in the Peterborough / Oshawa area for the same reason. Since she works for the LIHN she did not have to show proof of letter.
If this is not the case why do I need to carry proof of employment as an essential employee with me?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:53 am 
Walleye Angler

They have postings up at the bridge/park areas on the Murray canal stating they are closed to the public under the health board recomendations and to refer to the Parks Canada sight where it says "closed until at least the end of May". May be unrealated but they put up large cement barriers at both ends of the canal road (north side) and at the end of Hutchinson side road to prevent any more vehicles from using it, and dumping thier garbage along it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:24 pm 
Walleye

Both my wife and I still work and are not sick. We are going fishing May 9th on a back lake. Yes I have to drive 40 minutes to the launch, but I am sure my vehicle will not infect anyone driving pass me. Looking forward to a nice day on the water. Than back home. P.S Don't need to stop anywhere to and from my home, so no harm, unless you are jealous.

banner ad