Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:19 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opening Weekend Report
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:21 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

We had the new boat in the water all ready to go and we (Laker John, my Dad and myself) headed out Sat AM - Approx 0730.

Left Bayview and headed to the south shore, just past the Old Church and set the lines and planer boards, hadn't gone five minutes, "Fish On".

Passed the reel to my Dad to land the first fish on th new boat. He brought the fish to the net and MR Pike was the victim. Weighed in at 6.8 lbs, took pix and released it. Never thought about the Derby , it was small as we thought about last years winners.

We headed to Long Reach and trolled the west shore and an area that we had some success during last year's derby. We didn't have a hit at all.

Fished until 1130 and headed back in. My Dad and I got back out in the afternoon ( Laker John had a prior engagement for a couple of hours) and we fished or at least tried to fish the spinners and worm combo.

The new boat even with two drift socks is going a WAY TOO FAST. Couldn't get the speed down, so we drifted a while, nothing happening. Back to camp at 1645.

Laker John and I headed out again at 1800, headed to the east end flats, reports of some fish being caught drew us there. Trolled east, but we were too fast. Drifted back and had a nice speed for the Uzicks.

Laker John hit a 12" walleye on the Chartruese blade. Back to camp at 2000.

Sunday AM headed off to Trumpour Pt (Q6-Red Buoy) and trolled towards Q4 with many other boats. It was kinda scarry with boats and lines and planer boards everywhere. Trolled to the south shore towards the mouth of Picton Bay, headed north at McFarlenes Launch past the cement plant and up that west shore for about a mile. Wind blowing pretty good, so we decided to head to Thompson's Cove.

Made five drifts into the cove with some perch trying to get the baits.

Headed to Ram Is as the wind up there was from the NW and the drift was good. We drifted from the Green Buoy all the way to the Old Church Launch ramp with a steady wind and gusts, we were able to get the spinners to work. My Dad Picked up a 13" eye and that was ITT.

There were some fishers at Bayview who did well, five landed, biggest 22", another couple of chaps hit a 6Lb walleye and a 6 Lb Pike, They were happy. Another camper - Jeff hit a 22 incher, but not many results at all. I don't know how the people in the cottages did

We were back at 1230 and packed up and headed to the city for Mothers Day events.

The results of the 'Shake-Down' weekend were that the boat ran well, loved being in the shelter of the canvas, able to get the lines and boards out OK, BUT the speed was too high (perhaps for Muskies) but not for walleyes. A problem to resolved.

Haven't seen the results of the derby yet - has anyone else????

The weather was spectacular and that helped ease the lack of fish.

Let's get em next opener or at least next time out.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:56 am 
Walleye Master

time to buy an outboard clamp and a 9.9

honda's and yammy's, in the four stroke, would be perfect.

Post subject: opening Day Report
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:03 am 
Walleye Angler

Great report Super Dad. Remeber that picture you e-mailed of the young lad from the fall get together? Well he returned this spring and did well again. Shane Dscouteaux, nailed an 11.26lb walleye trolling between the red buoy and the cement plant. Snap weights planer baords and a worm Harness. Go figure.

I checked the leader board when I left yesterday atfernoon and he was passed by another lad who nailed a 12+ lber. Still, quite a thrill for Shane.
I am sure he will win a nice prize.

We were picking up fish at night and shallow, trolling HJ's and Rogues
in the shoals. There were so many boats to manouver around, some with lights out, some with no lights and some with 1 light, it was really challenging. My biggest was 7lbs, caught Saturday at 2pm.

Best of luck throughout the summer, I will be watching for your reports, ans I hope to see you for the Fall get together.

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:56 am 
Minnow

We were fishing the open water in the cement plant/ferry stretch and we only managed 3 fish in the boat for the weekend. Our worst results ever! My buddies had 5 in their boat. Our biggest fish were 6 and 7 lbs the rest were 3 - 4lbs. It seems there was no winning pattern all weekend just the odd fish caught in various depths and places.

Superdad, if you don't want the expense of a kicker, I had a trolling plate on my old boat it it was awesome. I slightly modified mine by cutting slots into it to give it a middle setting. I found that worked better in the rougher water.

For those of you that get to fish Quinte oftern, I hope the fish turn on soon. For me, it will be October now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:18 am 
Walleye Fry

Good report but it seems commonplace now for the BOQ. It certainly isn't the world class fishery that it was back in the 80's and that is the only reason I fish it in the fall.

I'm off to a smaller lake this weekend where I'll be guaranteed to catch between 15 - 30 small 1 1/2 - 3lb fish in a 4 hour period.....no lunkers but I'd rather catch something than nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:47 am 
Walleye

Fished saturday. Marked fish between 25 - 35 feet. We trolled over and thru them with cranks,worm harnesses etc. Could not get them to bite.

Same thing on Sunday only because of the wind the fish were up a little higher. We were marking them mostly not much deeper than 25 feet. Still no fish.

This was my first opener on the bay and man it was tough. I think it was mostly due to the weather not the fishery.

All in all it was a great weekend weather wise. Perfect weather for the first time having the boat in the water this year :)

I'm not going to be able to make it back on the water until the long weekend :(

Post subject: opener
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:01 pm 
Walleye

I fished 3 days and landed 3 eyes and a nice laker. We also dropped some others that did'nt hook up well. Big fish for me was 30inch,8.5lbs. the laker was 27 inches. The fish were showing up in good numbers in Long Reach close to shermans pt. on Monday.Jt# 9 rapalas had the most action on a 3-way behind a diver back 80ft. off a board.roughrider