Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Wow Never saw that coming.
https://fishingtackleretailer.com/brp-discontinues-evinrude-outboard-engines-signs-agreement-with-mercury-marine/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

damn, i love the ETEC. no more two strokes? will be interesting to see what Merc does.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 am 
Walleye

It Doesn't sound like mercury acquired evinrude or bought them out or anything. BRP basically just shut down the Evinrude division, and signed on with mercury to power their boats. same as lund and crestliner and legend and lowe etc. I like the sounds of project ghost though, BRP consistently comes out with industry leading technology. Ill just stick with my Suzuki outboards.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Crazy! Would have never thought this but goes to show how companies are in need of transitioning to remain relevant and operational.

The Project Ghost is interesting...

Last edited by legacy on Thu May 28, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:28 am 
Walleye Catcher

ouch, unexpected... i knew i should have powered mine with Yamaha... damn now i have to back to the wife and ask for another loan.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 am 
Walleye

Sad news for the marine world. I love my 2005 90 hp e-tec. a lot of Canada there. The new Ghost platform is weird you don't see the motor its so buried in the transom its like its not there just the lower unit travels.it is believed to be on their Rotex platform But it will only be available on their boats. So the rummer has it! I hope they plan to sell E Tec H2 to a company with not so much Government money involved.

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

Last edited by thedrifter on Thu May 28, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 am 
Walleye

I find that not too surprising. On a couple of trips to Florida a few years back I saw that for the sea going sport fishing boats around Clearwater there must have been 90% Yamahas and the rest were Suzukis and Mercs. Some rigs were powered by a pair of 350 hp Yamahas.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Man this sucks.i have a 300 G2 and 15 kicker coming on my new boat and hoping it’s not to late to change it up! 7 year warranty that that will likely be like my Sears one on all my new appliances I bought before they went belly up (useless)! If I can change it any thoughts on the kicker brand and model? I guess it should match the main engine but want something I can use if we get a warm spell during winter months. I went with G2 as I like the winterization mode you can do at any time which lets you go fishing in January and rewinterize on your own. Merc or Yammy?
22’ pro FS

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

jignpigman wrote:
Man this sucks.i have a 300 G2 and 15 kicker coming on my new boat and hoping it’s not to late to change it up! 7 year warranty that that will likely be like my Sears one on all my new appliances I bought before they went belly up (useless)! If I can change it any thoughts on the kicker brand and model? I guess it should match the main engine but want something I can use if we get a warm spell during winter months. I went with G2 as I like the winterization mode you can do at any time which lets you go fishing in January and rewinterize on your own. Merc or Yammy?
22’ pro FS

When we purchased our new boat a couple years ago we asked salesman what engine he thinks is the best engine. He said honestly the best is a Yamaha just finder the dealer if something goes wrong (which rarely happens I guess) or less than other. And that they are a bit more expensive to fix for parts. But we went with brp kinda kicking our ass now not going yammy

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Jignpigman
Call J&P Marine Yamaha Dealer in Belleville and ask for Justin. Good Dealership, been around for ever and will give you a straight price. 613-962-8422 http://www.jpmarine.reach.net/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:53 pm 
Goby

My 2008 merc 115hp 4 stroke is a Yammy. Merc bought 70,000 Yamaha outboards back then and dressed them up to be mercs. That’s why there’s not many issues with the merc 4 stroke outboards!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:27 pm 
Walleye

Is this mostly due to Covid-19 or has this been brewing for a while now? I have twin Merc V6 Bravo's in my boat so I don't follow the outboard clan

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:12 pm 
Walleye Catcher

In our rapidly aging memory, think we recall Mercury signed a Deal to have Yamaha build their 4 strokes back decades ago!. Eventually Merc cut Yammy loose, but kept using Yamaha's Technology to build their own units - nasty beggars!

Now THIS? Who knew? Yamaha might be juuust a little bit MORE upset by this latest turn of events. Also hope WE haven't confused things more... 77 yrs mess up thangs 'way too easily.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:52 pm 
Walleye

There is really no need to panic or regret buying an etec, They didn't go bankrupt, Its not a financial thing, BRP is financially strong, BRP is a good company and will take care of their customers. They are not building motors anymore that's a fact, My guess is it just wasn't profitable enough for them and they shut er down. But if you own an etec and have warranty they are still going to cover you just the same as if they were still making outboards. They will continue to build parts and supply the dealers with parts, if your warranty runs out you can still go buy your parts from the dealer or have the dealer service it. It's really no different then Johnson outboards, there are still a ton of Johnson outboards out there and you can still get parts for them. Enjoy the 2stroke torque, no break in period, no services for 500hrs, easy winterizing, long warranties and cool looks. They are still a great motor.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ginner,
I hear what you're saying but Id still be nervous about parts down the road, especially if I was planning on keeping it for the long haul.

banner ad
banner ad