Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shore Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm 
Guppy

Hey Guys and Gals,

I hope everyone is doing okay during these crazy times.

I had a question for any of the shore anglers out there....

I have never targeted walleye from shore this time of year nor on the bay (in the late spring/summer months that is)...so just curious if its something that people do or if I should just wait to get into the boat later in the year. The plan is to be fishing off of a dock on Big Island from about 7pm onwards...so just looking for some advice. Im assuming casting crank baits would be good ....but don't know if jigging or still fishing with a worm or minnow would be effective as I have never done anything like this before on the Bay.

Just looking for some advice if anyone can help...

Thanks,
McFly

Post subject: Re: Shore Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Me well my go-to is a jighead and a worm or minnow, my backup would be casting cranks. But again that is me.... . Cast a jig pop, wait pop,wait pop, wait pop,wait pop, normally pop in about 4-5-second intervals.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:51 am 
Guppy

Thanks Fry Flier...ill shoot you a message and let you know how I make out...appreciate the advice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 am 
Walleye Angler

My suggestion ... after 9 ... would be shallow running crank baits...with rattle and lots of wiggle...hehe. Dark colours....greens, purple, with some chartreuse would be ideal. Let us know how you do. Good luck !!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:36 am 
Minnow

Hi MCFly,

My suggestion to you is to make sure you do not stop to soon as most do (right at dark) . My favourite time to fish is about 11pm -1. Sometimes starts earlier and goes a bit later but not by much. If you are fishing from shore and it is relatively deep you may not have to wait so late for the fish to come in. Were my parents live on the Bay it is relatively shallow within casting distance of dock (6-7 feet). You will find that the "bugs" are hatching on shore late at night in 2-3 feet of water and that is where I catch my walleye. Good Luck, I had just posted on the night bite fishing from shore to the board which may give you some further advice on lures etc. Good luck buddy and I am pretty sure if you put some time in you will be rewarded. I have a boat but the fish caught from shore are extra special!

Tight Lines,
Shawn

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:13 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for all the extra info Turk and Fish Stalker.....so I ended up catching a number of pan fish and a sheephead.....but I think the next time I will go a little deepr into the evening as you mentioned FS and try more crank baits and jointed rapalas as well. This first visit was a little rushed but hope to go a little further into my box to see what works...hoping to figure them out.

FS im assuming if you are fishing on the south shore you want a North Wind....or do you find wind makes a difference where you are fishing?

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:52 pm 
Minnow

Fishing in the bay no matter what side you are on you hope for a West wind of some sort. For the night fishing I like it pretty calm, that is when it all seems to come together. And as always, East is least and that has played out many a times for fishing. Duck hunting different story. Last suggestion is to try to fish at a steady pace and try at half the speed you normally would and also try at a normal crank. Usually at night I find they like it slow and steady.

Tight lines
Shawn

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 pm 
Guppy

Thanks Shawn....very helpful! Will let you know about the next outing...

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:21 pm 
Goby

HI folks share sometools for shore fishing. thanks in advance :wink:

banner ad