banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:31 am 
Minnow

I was up at my parents place on the Bay of Quinte fishing. I fish all over the bay with a boat but have also done very well right behind their place (south side of Bay in Trenton area) after dark casting from their dock and shore. There is a pattern I have noticed over the last 20 years or so sitting outside around the fire in the evening that has paid off for me many times. The pattern is that the fish seem to come in around 1.5 hours after dark (around 11 pm) and feed for about 2 hrs on a good day and shorter when weather or other factors such as rough waves impede my success. The month of June is the best with July as close second. What I notice on the water is fish breaking the surface feeding. What I have figured out is that it is many different species, shad (fast surface), Walleye and bass. I believe the shad are feeding on the chironomids/mayfly etc and the walleye are also feeding as well as on the shad minnows etc. What I do is sit, listen and watch. When I see a surfacing I decide if it is a larger fish or shad based on experience you can tell. If I think it is a larger fish I will cast at least 10 feet past the spot and reel slowly back. Now I can be picky when they are surfacing every 5-10 seconds which is about typical on a good night, otherwise I cast blind to good spots. I often use a simple old jointed rapa J13 is my favourite in bright yellow or fire tiger. I also have found adding a small piece of worm to the back hook at night really makes a difference. With this lure if you reel in slow it swims on top which works great at night and keeps me out of weeds that come later in June.

Anyway It does not always work but I have had really good success. They usually bite in the first few casts and then I walk down shore a bit and try new place. Something special about catching of your own shore/dock. My biggest walleye have come from fishing at night in this manner and I we have only caught walleye from my parents shore in daylight once or twice. Last info is that I am fishing between 2-6 feet of water. I often cast all the way out but this weekend both were caught in 2-3 feet of water about 10 feet from shore. Some years I catch more bass than walleye which is still a lot of fun.

Good luck and try the 11 pm -1 am time slot casting from shore, you may be surprised!

Good Luck and Be Safe
Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:52 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Couldn't agree more, "Stalker"!

When living down on the s/w corner of Lake Erie, our local Fishing Club held the Summer Tournaments with a starting time of 9 pm!

If you haven't tried 'Night Bite' Fishing, do yourself a HUGE Favour. Takes a little time getting comfy, but if you keep it Simple, the results are rewarding.

Rgds, Wordpecker.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 am 
Walleye Angler

Before I got married to the daughter of a trout fisherman over 50 years ago I didn't realize people fished in the daytime. If it was light out my dad was working. We never went fishing before 9:30 or 10 PM caught a lot of fish mostly from shore or a 12 foot plywood boat with about $10 worth of tackle. Now I'm a slave to thousands of dollars worth of tackle , 3 boats one that cost more than I paid for my house 40 years ago and $2000 a year for marina and insurance. Where and why did I go astray.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:17 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi Guys:

We've never mentioned one 'Go To' lure in South West Ontario... The Pencil Plug. We have an entire box full of them, but due to age#77, haven't had many (none!) opportunities to employ them here.

Named becuz it's simply a long (6"-8") thin Stick, with three trebles, and every colour imaginable.

Many folks remove the first treble - either for 'Fairness' - or more realistically - to avoid NIGHTMARES trying to untangle the D*mn Thangs from Nets, particularly at - and/or after - sunset.

These guys dive only 2' tops, but are absolute KILLERS fished in shallow water close to Shore at dusk.

IF you can find them, might be worth a try here. Some day - hopefully - we'll feel frisky enough to try them here. Can't see why they wouldn't be equally effective.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad