Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:11 pm 
Minnow

hey everyone. With all the bass boats spinning about I decide to troll around the bay, basically from big island shoal to trident and thereabouts. It was pretty slow but managed some dinner and a fun sheepshead. Started off at the early time of 9am (wine + mornings just don't mix) - the big island launch was packed with trailers by then but still found a spot to park at the side of the road. Beautiful day to just cruise around and relax and hey - a few fish to boot!

Not an amazing day but hey - dinner is served and any day on the water is good right? PS for those that wonder - water hit 80:

But here's my question: all day no matter the depth I was marking fish near the surface. When I slowed down to cast them I realized they looked like carp big, wide, large scales, you know - carp :). I could watch them following the boat no matter how deep of water I was in - at big island shoal they were thick as thief's but even in 20 feet I'd be able to watch them following the boat, maybe 5' down or so. I'm pretty sure they weren't sheephead (which I catch all the time). These wanted nothing to do with any offerings I had. In the 5-8' weeks of the shoal I was sure they were carp (they were even flopping on the surface like carp everywhere) but in 20' of water? What does everyone think?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:07 am 
Walleye

yep carp. there everywhere no matter the depth right now. When I used to guide , I once had a client from South Carolina who after a day of bass catching , he wanted to catch a carp. he caught many that late afternoon until one finally spooled him. one of the most sought after fish in Europe, even have carp tournaments.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:39 am 
Site Admin

I agree with boqbass definitely carp.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:26 am 
Walleye Angler

had them following my boat this morning too out by Amherst. tons of them around.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:58 am 
Minnow

Don't why I didn't expect carp in the bay, use to seeing them in the kawarthas and such but was a bit of a suprise watching them following me in the middle of the bay (I always though of them as shore huggers).

If this walleye thing doesn't work out I'll have to invest in some corn and go carp fishing instead :)

Thanks everyone. PS: 'eyes were on a blue and silver deep tail dancer in shallow water (14-15).

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

I caught a good size carp 2 weeks back on a bucktail,, was odd cause i never catch them first one in almost 5 years im geussing... i must have bounced the jig off its nose jig no more than hit the water and it waz on thought it was a sheephead

banner ad
banner ad