Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:31 am 
Walleye

Weather you are a tournament fisherman or not , the lack of tournaments and pressure is quite noticeable. This may be more evident to myself who is not only a bass junkie but I live on the Bay. Although I did notice an increase in boat traffic this past Saturday and did speak to a guy who was in a little friends derby. My question to everyone, have you noticed any effects to your fishing or the fish since the tournament pressure has eased? This is not meant to bash tournaments as I was quite involved in tournament fishing for years and would still be except for my health.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 am 
Walleye

I am assuming this is a touchy subject or I havent made the question clear to my fellow fisher people. I will reply with my thoughts. With the lack of tournaments , obviously comes less pressure, I miss chatting with other anglers on the water going past my dock or as were sharing a spot. Fishing isnt only about catching fish. I am sure local business is being effected as well. On the fishing side, I have noticed the majority of fish seem to be relatively first time biters , lacking hook marks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 am 
Walleye Catcher

boqbass wrote:
I am assuming this is a touchy subject or I havent made the question clear to my fellow fisher people. I will reply with my thoughts. With the lack of tournaments , obviously comes less pressure, I miss chatting with other anglers on the water going past my dock or as were sharing a spot. Fishing isnt only about catching fish. I am sure local business is being effected as well. On the fishing side, I have noticed the majority of fish seem to be relatively first time biters , lacking hook marks.

naw, with the barrage of Jet Skidiots out there this year, its about the same traffic... There must have been a sale on them at bay-marine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:18 pm 
Walleye

1 and 2 day tournaments are good. 3 days tournaments are a little excessive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:05 pm 
Guppy

I have a place over in the narrows and the bass fisherman have been few and far between out front of the cottage compared to the last couple of years. Unfortunately I don’t spend much time on bass but the few boats off of the dock have been hooking fish. I generally focus on the Walters but would like to spend more time on the bass. Any tips to pass on for rigs would be greatly appreciated guys. Be safe out there and tight lines

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:44 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I for one am a tournament angler. And I can honestly say that I have only fished the bay this year 5 times for bass and only several times for walleye. With the tournament season being kinda halted. We’ve expanded our lakes a little. And it’s been a real nice change

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:38 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Got out for the first 'real' fishing effort this morning, on the Northwest corner of The Bay. Long Story.

Honestly can't recall seeing another fishing boat in the two hours we fished.

The Wallies En Mass have obviously passed by us, AND in their wake remains a ton of Silver Bass. NOT our favourite Fish, but at least we dodged The Skunk with four of them late in The Run.

Boy, wuzzit quiet out there. ONE Wallie would have been nice...

Rgds, Wordpecker.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:23 am 
Site Admin

I think that in August you will see the return of a couple tournaments out of Belleville. Wont be more than 50 boats so shouldn't have a big impact

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

I second the jet skidiots,,!! idk if its just me but it seems if they c someone fishing they have to b line straight to the boat they have the whole fn bay but have to drive by close enough to see there cheesy i love my new ski expresion on there face ,,, or there waiting to get a high five or what.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:58 pm 
Walleye Fry

Actually, with no tournaments, I have not had a chance to the BOQ at all this year. Don't be fooled by this pandemic thing, there are probably more tournaments on BOQ this year than previous years just smaller sized events! From my friends down BOQ way the boat ramps have been crazy busy!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I fish some of the tournaments as well, though I think the boat traffic is up from previous years. Specially the jet skidiots!! There must have been a sale somewhere.
I was thinking of either hooking one or teeing up a few golf balls the they're too close to shoreline.
Thinking this year is possibly a good break for the fish, from the tournament fishing and from always being caught and relocated to Belleville every few weeks! lol
Tufts study showed 90% plus stay around the released area (correct me if Im wrong), so maybe the fish will actually have a chance to get back to their home ranges.

Just my 2 cents..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:29 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I haven't spent much time on Quinte this year but the back lakes are very busy.

A lot of cottages are still closed up and am assuming they're US owners.