Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Walleye Anglers,

Once again, I am seeking your help with our Volunteer Angler Diary Program (Walleye). If you would like to participate this year, please respond to this email and let me know. For those of you that respond, I will send out a Diary in the right away along with a copy of the 2019 diary report. If you know of an avid Walleye angler that may not have participated in past years, please pass along this email and encourage them to contact me.

This year, in addition to Bay of Quinte anglers, I am encouraging anglers that fish for Walleye in eastern Lake Ontario and the upper St. Lawrence River to participate in this volunteer diary program.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

UPDATES FOR 2020:
• Bay of Quinte and Walleye are a high priority and we are doing our best during these difficult times to complete the key surveys which are used inform the status of Walleye;
o Bay of Quinte index trawling: used to inform status of the fish community and as an indicator for Walleye young of the year (i.e. year class strength)
o Bay of Quinte index gillnetting: used to inform status of the fish community as well as an indicator of the juvenile and adult Walleye population
o Acoustic Telemetry: ongoing research to better understand Walleye spatial ecology in the Bay of Quinte / eastern Lake Ontario
o Walleye Angler Diary Program: used to characterize the late summer/fall Walleye angler effort, catch and harvest
o Environmental Variables e.g. temperature at spawning areas
• For your interest, I have attached a “postcard” describing our work to track Walleye movement in the Bay of Quinte and eastern Lake Ontario using acoustic telemetry technology. This is a partnership project with Queen’s University Freshwater Fisheries Conservation Lab (Dr. Bruce Tufts Lab). Since 2017, we have tagged over 200 walleye. If you catch one of our acoustic tagged walleye, please consider releasing the fish and reporting back to us. Some tagged Walleye have orange pop-off data storage tags (pDST) attached to them which record variables such as depth (see photo attached). If you catch a Walleye with one of these pop-off tags, it should be removed by cutting the line holding it to fish. You should then contact the Queen's lab or myself to set up return. These tags are also designed to release from the fish after one year and float to the surface, so you may see a tag floating or washed up on shore. There is a $100 reward for returning a pDST tag.
• Check out this recent article in the Belleville Intelligencer which showcases this amazing fishery: https://www.intelligencer.ca/news/local ... ng-aplenty

Thank you very much.
Erin

Erin Brown
Assessment Biologist
Glenora Fisheries Station, Lake Ontario Management Unit
Fish & Wildlife Services Branch, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
41 Hatchery Lane, Picton ON K0K 2T0
613-471-0211 | erin.n.brown@ontario.ca | connect via Skype

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad