Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:47 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wheres the Bass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:30 am 
Walleye

The last couple weeks have been some of the toughest fishing in the Bay since the bass explosion in the 90s. I havent been able to even put a limit together and was skunked this past Saturday. To rub salt into the wound, I also lost 2 of my last favourite swimjigs on back to back casts, caused by a knot way back in my spool. The same seems to be the norm and not an exception from anyone I have spoken too. The water is still a brownish colour, and I am not sure if this is part of the issue. August usually fishes a little tough in the Northport area but not this tough. My biggest bass so far this year is only 19 inches, but luckily we still have 3 months of the best big fish time left.

Post subject: Re: Wheres the Bass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 am 
Walleye Catcher

I agree with you 100%. The bay has been a grind. My approach lately. And I went out Monday for a little while I caught 2 and lost 1. Was just baits that’s you can move slow. Yes it’s a terrible way to fish in my opinion. But that is what seemed to produce some bites for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 am 
Walleye

I agree Big Bassin, My only bites have come dead sticking a tube, and I can almost have a nap I am leaving the bait there so long.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:05 pm 
Walleye

Its still slow for me. Anyone catching them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:46 pm 
Guppy

Haven't had a good day on the bay this year! I was out Friday afternoon/evening and got 2 small largemouth in the shallow weeds. Felt like I was in the right areas but no big bites!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:37 am 
Walleye

Things are starting to turn around for me now.The cleanest water is definitely in the real skinny weedy water and flippin and froggin was the trick but the bass have started to feed on outside weedlines again. I have been doing quite well with chatterbaits with a split tail type trailer, both in white. the fish are just choaking the bait and putting slack in the line when they hit. I have been catching good average size fish with my seasons pb at 19.5 inches. Yesterday I even got a decent chunker off my dock, which hasent happened since opener. Heading out now to see how my morning goes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:19 am 
Walleye

They let me down this morning. I fished for 3.5 hrs and landed 4 small fish. I got 2 on a yum dinger in the first 20 minutes on a rock pile then nothing for 2 hrs when I landed 2 on the chatterbait. I figured they should be on the moving baits with total overcast and windy? Looks like the wind will keep the boat at the dock for a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 am 
Site Admin

I haven't been out but a few buddies who have are saying the same as you skinny clear water

banner ad