Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Well, things are moving along, waiting on the new blanks and nickel blades to show. Should be here in the next 1-2 days.
I have been working on these for a while to get what I want as a fisher of Esox. Tried the prefinished blades and was not happy, looked great when completed and lost thier finish within a few cast or a short troll. That being said I have now invested in a powdercoat setup and oven.
Happy with the powder coat now and have 6 here to play with on the water today. All have Bucktail tied hooks in 3 different setups from just ending with the tinsel to just past the tinsel to well past the tinsel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Very nice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:56 pm 
Walleye

Those look fantastic. Great work

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:57 pm 
Walleye

The two on the right look deadly!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks all, as far as the 2 on the right above are concerned they are double 10 Cowgirls style tied on .062 wire double skirt. The Black 10's are done with solid brass beads and body on top of Brown Holo Moonlight. The Deep Orange 10's are done with solid nickel beads and body on top of Red Holographic. The one below is double 10 Cowgirl style Green blades with brass and nickel for beads nickel body and a dressed yellow and red bucktail treble teaser.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The new blanks showed up today and what a difference, nickel and raw steel.
The blades below are powdered by the same coat at the same time and put in the oven together therefore the only difference in the colour is the steel itself.
Both sets of blades are Melon Orange, top set on steel and the bottom are nickel plate.

The added greens on the bottom are done on nickel 8's and 10's

Image, Image

Last edited by Fry Flier on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Nice work
Should be fun to play with once the big frost hits and cools down the water.
Personally I find that pike are able to handle a bit of the warm water for a bit but the muskie are not as resilient with warm water.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

D-wayne wrote:
Nice work
Should be fun to play with once the big frost hits and cools down the water.
Personally I find that pike are able to handle a bit of the warm water for a bit but the muskie are not as resilient with warm water.

That is why I hold off on the musky right now, I will be more active come Mid Sept. to December. The people more knowledgeable than myself on musky genetics state that it is safer for the fish if we use cooler waters. One argument being oxygen levels and the other being sudden temp differences. Taking a fish from say 50/55-degree water and trying to release it back into the high 70's-80's. I look at it in an easy way to describe. A lot of us here ice fish, if you are not careful as a person or unlucky and fall through the ice the first thing that happens is cold shock and disorientation of the body and breathing. Some will overcome the situation and get out to survive with a good amount of effort, some will put in the effort and still not make it.
Well for the musky he/her is the same you took away the oxygen and put him /her back into the water that has them at a shocking water temp disadvantage. Some will make it some will not. Three years ago on Pigeon Lake, I spent 2.5 hours helping a Musky to get back into the water hoping things were good. The following day I was in the same cove area and found a musky floating by the shoreline. I can not say for sure that it was the one I released and it did not survive. It sure was close in size, colour and location, enough that I went back to the cottage and did not fish that day.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Went to visit the kids at the cottage yesterday and on the way home the wife and I decided on fish and chips for supper. Thought we would stop at Jacks in Norwood and then the wife asked: "what would you like to eat?" I stated "Fishermans plater" so she drove on by...We got home she goes to my hobby area and comes back with this.
Image Enjoy

banner ad