Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Cormorant Bounty
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:14 pm 
Goby

There's been a lot of talk this year about how Walleye fishing has deteriorated. Considering the light numbers of people this year because of Covid I would have expected the opposite. There's also been a lot of talk about the increasing Cormorant population being to blame. I would think a bounty of $5 per bird would pretty much wipe out their population in the area. Problem is where does the bounty money come from?

How about a Go-Fund-Me campaign contributed to by those who enjoy fishing here?

Just throwing it out as an idea. Don't even know if it's legal.

Post subject: Cormorant Bounty
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 pm 
Walleye Master

While I’d love to see the black birds get wiped out, the fishing on the lake this year has been incredible. No shortage of 20-24” walleyes and the usual matures.

The fish population is very solid according to the MNR. Hearing people say Erie is slow too, yet it has an incredible population of walleye.

Sometimes fishing is fishing and not always catching. Lots of factors to affect it. We had some incredibly high water temps at times this summer, that would dramatically affect the ecosystem. Climate change is real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Cormorant Bounty
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:00 pm 
Walleye

Anytime humans try to intervene in the ecosystem it usually ends badly. I would not be surprised to see this somehow have an unpredicted negative impact

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm 
Walleye

The province of Ontario is introducing an annual fall harvest of the double-crested cormorant as a step to protect fish stocks and natural habitat.

In Fenelon Falls on Friday morning, John Yakabuski, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry, announced that the hunting season will run annually from Sept. 15 to Dec. 31, beginning this year.
Yakabuski said. “We have also reduced the maximum number of cormorants a hunter can take to 15 a day, which is a similar limit to one for federally regulated migratory game birds such as mourning doves, snow and Ross’s geese, rails, coot and gallinules.”

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I can hear a lot of shot-guns going off and hoping it's cormorant hunting on the Brothers as I believe it opened today.

If anyone can confirm or is involved, THANK YOU!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm 
Walleye

I'm all for thinning out the black devil birds. I may even take up hunting just for that reason. However, I'm just curious...if you shoot them, then what ? Don't the regulations say you have to consume them ? Just like fishing, if you keep them, then you have to eat them (although I do believe Gobies are exempt under the reg's). I can recall some guys being charged for catching salmon just to harvest the roe, but disposing of the carcasses in the garbage. Just like dark spawning salmon, I can only imagine that a fish eating bird isn't going to be exactly very tasty.
Also, how do you collect the bounty ? You bring the bodies in to the local OMNR office ?

Not trying to stir the pot...just looking for some clarification.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:05 pm 
Minnow

Regs state that the birds must be disposed of properly. You are not required or expected to eat them!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm 
Walleye

So if you shoot them, you then have to go collect them ? You just can't leave them as turtle food ?
I don't think even think my dog would want one in her mouth if she had to retrieve them...lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

From what ive read you have to dispose of the bird not leave them for turtle food.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am 
Walleye Wisdom

As Dan said, you have to dispose of them properly; either burying on a Private Property or at an approved dead animal disposal site.

I am not a hunter and feel bad for wanting these cormorant colonies lessened but the devastation I've seen on Lake Ontario, makes me ok with this new season.

They've killed the Islands my family and I would anchor, have dinner and swim near and if you get too close, the bugs and smell makes you sick.

I've seen these colonies grow exponentially and as mentioned in another post here, CBC reports there are 5 colonies in the Kingston Basin alone.

banner ad