Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waupoos
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am 
Walleye

Planning to fish the Waupoos area in the next week or two. Looking for Pike to change things up a bit...PE Bay, Smiths Bay, Green Island, etc. I have fished it in the spring and done well, but this time of year do the Pike move back into the shallow weedbeds or are they out deeper like mid-summer ? Do the Smallies move deep this time of year too ? On inland lakes (that I usually fish) after fall turnover, there's definitely a movement to deeper and more temperature stable water...usually deep points where they can intercept migrating baitfish. I'm just not sure what happens on Lake O...does it flip once the temps are down to the low 50's ? Any help on what I should be zeroing in on, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Waupoos
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:12 pm 
Walleye

CrowMan wrote:
Planning to fish the Waupoos area in the next week or two. Looking for Pike to change things up a bit...PE Bay, Smiths Bay, Green Island, etc. I have fished it in the spring and done well, but this time of year do the Pike move back into the shallow weedbeds or are they out deeper like mid-summer ? Do the Smallies move deep this time of year too ? On inland lakes (that I usually fish) after fall turnover, there's definitely a movement to deeper and more temperature stable water...usually deep points where they can intercept migrating baitfish. I'm just not sure what happens on Lake O...does it flip once the temps are down to the low 50's ? Any help on what I should be zeroing in on, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I fish out of the waupoos marina pretty much every weekend from late august till december searching for some pike.
I'm glad to see more interest in pike fishing from this board. For the longest time, I thought I was just a strange guy who like targeting pike.

Anyways. Weeds are still good to find...they are starting to die off but if you can find them...it's always a good place to start.
Smiths Bay is a waste of your time in the fall. In the spring it is the place to be but don't waste your time in the fall. Weeds are dead, water is way lower...you might be able to catch the random pike but its pretty much a waste of time in there.

As much as I target Pike...still some weeks it seems like a mystery to me - just like every fish can make the best angler scratch their heads some days probably. (Unless you are Bob75, BicMac, or Dan Elliott....they just seem next level....haha)

If you are wanting numbers, anywhere around waupoos island is a good place to cast and troll.
If you want size...trolling deep or even casting steep breaks seems like the ticket.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree with hablover. Go 15 feet & deeper. Green Is. area, E and NE shore Waupoos. Also the west shore of South Bay can be good. Personally, I'd forget the shallow weeds. Good luck !! Plugs or spoons need to have some flash.

banner ad
 Post subject: Waupoos
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:10 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Hablover for pumping my tires, however just got home from a 2 day Muskie trip. 2 boats 4 guys. 5 Muskie landed and none in my boat. They stump us all. Still beats being at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:32 pm 
Walleye

Bobv75 wrote:
Thanks Hablover for pumping my tires, however just got home from a 2 day Muskie trip. 2 boats 4 guys. 5 Muskie landed and none in my boat. They stump us all. Still beats being at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true! Muskies stump us all. Just started getting into fishing for them this year... and although you are right, it beats being at work! But to catch them, you have to put in the work for sure! Definitely not for the faint of heart!

banner ad
banner ad