Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Life jackets
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:30 pm 
Baitfish

perch guy wrote:
So can they give you a ticket if your flares are out of Date?

Better check and make sure you require flares.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

We got a ticket years ago, drifting just off Shermans Point for incorrect flares; they were not marine.

We were in a pontoon boat and the boat owner disputed saying he "lived on a back lake (Bob's) and they were not required!"

The OPP said we were "far enough away from shore and accessible to the big water so needed them."

Didn't want to argue, thanked them and paid with our poker winnings from the night before.

I check mine now but have bought some from CTC years ago and didn't check the expiry date in the store (hard to see in the plastic container they're housed in) and didn't notice until the next year they were expired.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:12 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Replacing flares is a bain to boat owner and then the Canadian Prices are sky high.

I have the revolver flare gun and drive to Wal-Mart in Watertown every 4 years to purchase six cartridges, you only need four but can't buy four.

I get two packages for $48.00 US, at Crappy Tire it's around $90.00 ( haven't checked there in a long time)

I was with someone a number of years ago and we got stopped late in the evening, the boat owner thought the electric horn would qualify as a sound device - HONK Wrong, They looked at the extinguisher - WRONG Kind, Strike two....The flares beiing carried had expired five years before, WRONG... Strike three........

We got lucky, he suggested we go ashore and head the CTC and replace the items which were incorrect.

The boat owner was really lucky, as I think I calculated at least $500.00 in fines.

Always err on the side of caution and always be nice to the inquiring officer, remember the Golden Rule - they have the gold and they make the rules.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:00 pm 
Walleye

A few years ago we got inspected by the OPP on Canada Day on the Ottawa River while Muskie fishing. Pleasant enough inspection until it came to the fire extinguisher and bailing device. Fire extinguisher was right on the line between red and green, and the bail device was a Javex bottle with the bottom cut off which doubles as a P bucket. He said neither were approved but said he would cut us a break and just write us up for the fire extinguisher...$225.00. We replaced the extinguisher the next morning at CT as well as purchased a 5 gallon pail which now lives in the live well. The Javex bottle lives in the 5 gallon pail. After launching that day, we were working our way down a weed edge when the same officer pulled us over again to check with our compliance to his ticket and warning. All was good and he proceeded along his way to check the other 500 or 600 boats on the river that weekend.
I don't envy them their jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

not sure flare pistol is legal in Canada seem to remember Americans being charged for bringing over the border

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:40 pm 
Walleye

I got a Flare Pistol and 6 Flares from The Store in Port Credit about 5 years ago. I like fishing up to Hamilton and thought better be safe than sorry on the big O. The place is now called FOGH and caters mostly to sailboats but he says he always has flares. I guess I will be seeing him soon. He also takes back old flares. Thanks for the stories, it is good to hear some experiences and what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:55 am 
Walleye Angler

I believe they can? never been cought with outdated ones but if the regulation calls for them for your vessel And yours are outdated then they could fine you or be nice and give you a break? But flares used to have an expiry date but now they expire four years from the date of production which is now what is stamped on the flares.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 am 
Walleye

A little off-topic, but it applies.

Isn't anyone concerned that these police officers are able to stop you on the water and inspect/detain without cause? No investigation of a crime. No indication that you are committing any crime, just stop and "fish" (pun intended). They can't do that in your car (debatable) . They sure can't do that in your home. Heck, they can't even stop you on the street and pat you down without cause. But on the water or in the bush during hunting season, its stop and search without cause.

And please, "they are just doing their job" or "protecting the environment" are not arguments, they are justifications for the state and the officers to continue infringing on your right to be left alone.

Just because it is easy or is "the law" does not mean it is right. Laws are regularly struck down for infringement. Doing their job and protecting the environment can and should be done, however it should be done in a manner that protects the civil liberties of the population. To any officers reading this, to live up to the oath you take in becoming an office, you should be the first people to say "I do not want to inject myself and the state into the lives of citizens who have given no indication that they are breaking the law, just because I can" you should be demanding a fair and reasonable approach to protection and enforcement, one which does not directly pit you against the liberty of the civilian population.

Hunters and fishermen, the freedom loving among us ask that you think about this when you vote, bring this up at your next OFA meeting and demand this protection from your elected officials.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

Post subject: Life jackets
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:27 am 
Walleye Master

Billy Dee wrote:
A little off-topic, but it applies.

Isn't anyone concerned that these police officers are able to stop you on the water and inspect/detain without cause? No investigation of a crime. No indication that you are committing any crime, just stop and "fish" (pun intended). They can't do that in your car (debatable) . They sure can't do that in your home. Heck, they can't even stop you on the street and pat you down without cause. But on the water or in the bush during hunting season, its stop and search without cause.

And please, "they are just doing their job" or "protecting the environment" are not arguments, they are justifications for the state and the officers to continue infringing on your right to be left alone.

Just because it is easy or is "the law" does not mean it is right. Laws are regularly struck down for infringement. Doing their job and protecting the environment can and should be done, however it should be done in a manner that protects the civil liberties of the population. To any officers reading this, to live up to the oath you take in becoming an office, you should be the first people to say "I do not want to inject myself and the state into the lives of citizens who have given no indication that they are breaking the law, just because I can" you should be demanding a fair and reasonable approach to protection and enforcement, one which does not directly pit you against the liberty of the civilian population.

Hunters and fishermen, the freedom loving among us ask that you think about this when you vote, bring this up at your next OFA meeting and demand this protection from your elected officials.

No I have zero concern about this. I’ve never felt threatened or concerned with their intention and IMO the only ones worried would be ones with something to hide.

I’d prefer them doing more safety checks to clear the boozers off the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 pm 
Walleye

Just read the boat requirements again as it has been some time and it is not the size or type of boat you have that matters , it how far you are off land that counts. 1 Nautical mile or about 1.2 miles or 1.8KM.
Heck you can be fishing in the middle of Picton Bay and be nabbed. With revenue generation being tough out there i think we can expect more tickets for borderline situations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Heheheh... reading this link had us flash back to one of the last times we fished The Big O.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, an OPP Cruiser appears to check our equipment et al...

...and while this was going on, we notice the Stern-mounted Trolling Motor on their Boat - STILL dripping wet from - dare we assume? - a Trolling Run further out on The Big O!

No fishing rods in sight.~

Rgds, WORDpecker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Did he say what his problem was with the javax jug , they were recommended at one of our coarses but the thing was to glue the lid on so the cops can't throw it away on you. don't tell them it is multi purpose (pee jug) , safety equipment must be single purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:57 am 
Walleye Angler

The other thing I discovered while fishing the big lake is the rules are slightly different if fishing on the US side. That little rope and heaving ball in the orange container we all by at CT does not qualify if your in US waters! It must be the bigger one you can buy for bigger boats. Also if I remember right their flare laws are slightly different. I think depending on the size of your boat you need four of the gun flare and I think ( don’t quote me) 2 or 4 of the smoke flares reason being that the smoke flares give off a chemical that can be seen by infrared locators from a helicopter to aid in nighttime rescues. The one good thing about being checked on US waters is when they are done with you they give you a piece of paper that if pulled over again during that year let’s you just hold up life jackets to show you have them and your on your way. The initial stop is very intimidating and regimented but as I said once done they were very pleasant. PS I was glad I had my passport on board as I think it could of gone sideways otherwise!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 am 
Goby

I find the topics of flares to be very confusing. After reading transport Canada boating regulations it clearly states (for boats under 19’6”) a water tight flashlight OR flares are required. The Regs do also mention the nautical mile rule in a “side note”.

So my question is: is a water tight flashlight sufficient regardless how far from shore you are? Making flares unnecessary?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:37 am 
Walleye

polliwogg wrote:
Did he say what his problem was with the javax jug , they were recommended at one of our coarses but the thing was to glue the lid on so the cops can't throw it away on you. don't tell them it is multi purpose (pee jug) , safety equipment must be single purpose.

He didn't say, but that might have been the problem, the lid was loose. Not completely off, but loose, and quite likely why he didn't include that as well and just gave a warning.

banner ad