Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Life jackets
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:39 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Here's the most recent info I could find. Everything you need to know for boating and safety and enforcement.

https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... p_511e.pdf

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transpor ... r-csa-2001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:23 pm 
Walleye

BigMac wrote:
Billy Dee wrote:
A little off-topic, but it applies.

Isn't anyone concerned that these police officers are able to stop you on the water and inspect/detain without cause? No investigation of a crime. No indication that you are committing any crime, just stop and "fish" (pun intended). They can't do that in your car (debatable) . They sure can't do that in your home. Heck, they can't even stop you on the street and pat you down without cause. But on the water or in the bush during hunting season, its stop and search without cause.

And please, "they are just doing their job" or "protecting the environment" are not arguments, they are justifications for the state and the officers to continue infringing on your right to be left alone.

Just because it is easy or is "the law" does not mean it is right. Laws are regularly struck down for infringement. Doing their job and protecting the environment can and should be done, however it should be done in a manner that protects the civil liberties of the population. To any officers reading this, to live up to the oath you take in becoming an office, you should be the first people to say "I do not want to inject myself and the state into the lives of citizens who have given no indication that they are breaking the law, just because I can" you should be demanding a fair and reasonable approach to protection and enforcement, one which does not directly pit you against the liberty of the civilian population.

Hunters and fishermen, the freedom loving among us ask that you think about this when you vote, bring this up at your next OFA meeting and demand this protection from your elected officials.

No I have zero concern about this. I’ve never felt threatened or concerned with their intention and IMO the only ones worried would be ones with something to hide.

I’d prefer them doing more safety checks to clear the boozers off the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey BigMac,

This is an interesting point of view. I can respect your position regarding DUI and watercraft. I share the sentiment of deterring and punishing those who boat and drink completely. In fact, I enjoy night fishing for walleye, but will not night fish the opening weekend on Quinte for just this reason. A few close calls in the darkness have made me shy away from those weekend nights. I just don't agree with the current regime of enforcement that says, "we are going to randomly check you because you MIGHT be doing something wrong." If the authorities have reasonable evidence that an offence is being committed, then by all means investigate. The door that is opened by allowing investigation where no evidence of a crime exists is, in my opinion staggeringly dangerous.

I guess what I would ask about your position is, how much liberty are you willing to forgo for the sense of safety that you feel from the imposition of the state into your private life? I mean, taken to the extreme, your statement that "the only ones worried would be ones with something to hide" could mean that you would be okay with government cameras and microphones in your home. If you have nothing to hide, they can protect you by watching over you. Would that be something you would accept?

Take care,

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

banner ad
 Post subject: Life jackets
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:38 pm 
Walleye

Buckle up. Taking a ride on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

This is what I found. I read this to mean that if the lake is more than a mile wide than you need flares onboard. Doesn't matter how far you are from shore when they check you. It makes sense actually. Kinda hard to find you if you are waving a flashlight a mile from shore.

4. One (1) watertight flashlight
OR
Three (3) Canadian‐approved flares of Type A (Rocket Parachute), B (Multi‐Star) or C (Hand)
Note: Flares are not required for a pleasure craft that:
 Is operating on a river, canal or lake in which it can never be more than one (1) nautical mile (1.852 km)
from shore; or
 Has no sleeping quarters and is engaged in an official competition or in final preparation for an official
competition.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:01 pm 
Walleye

GAP wrote:
This is what I found. I read this to mean that if the lake is more than a mile wide than you need flares onboard. Doesn't matter how far you are from shore when they check you. It makes sense actually. Kinda hard to find you if you are waving a flashlight a mile from shore.

4. One (1) watertight flashlight
OR
Three (3) Canadian‐approved flares of Type A (Rocket Parachute), B (Multi‐Star) or C (Hand)
Note: Flares are not required for a pleasure craft that:
 Is operating on a river, canal or lake in which it can never be more than one (1) nautical mile (1.852 km)
from shore; or
 Has no sleeping quarters and is engaged in an official competition or in final preparation for an official
competition.

Yes, I noticed this point too and looked it up as well. This was news to me. I have been fishing lake Ontario and waterways that lead into Lake Ontario for 30 years and I was surprised to learn that I was legally required to carry flares because "operating on a river, canal or lake in which it can never be more than one (1) nautical mile (1.852 km)from shore". I've been stopped and checked by The Peel Marine Unit, Toronto Marine Unit, OPP Marine Unit and RCMP Marine Unit at various times throughout the years and never have I been asked to produce flares! Apparently I was lucky to avoid such an inquiry and potential fine for being non compliant.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well....ironically he didn't ask me for flares, even though i have a complete safety kit

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
banner ad