Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: River Monsters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:48 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Not from the Quinte Area but looks like fishing is still a little slow so figured I would share. My fishing buddy and I decided to go Monster Hunting for Halloween this year.... River Monsters. So on Saturday, we made the drive East and meet up with a local guide to try our luck catching our first Lake Sturgeon. We marked lots of fish right from the start but the morning bite was slow with a couple of taps and one fish lost only after a few seconds of being on the line. We stuck with it moving around many times looking for fish that wanted to play. Luckily in the afternoon we found a few and we were able to land 4 sturgeon. Neither my buddy or I had ever caught a sturgeon before and even though these ones were not huge for lake sturgeon and nothing compared to the White Sturgeon out West we were super excited to get into a few.

Note this fish were caught in an area where there is a sturgeon season from June 15th to October 31st and you are allowed to keep one. We released all for our fish.

It was an awesome day and looking forward to going again next year. I am also hoping to go BC sturgeon fish next August if my West coast vacation works out.

Here are my two fish I caught.

Tight lines everyone and I hope to be search for Quinte gold soon!!!

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

Post subject: Re: River Monsters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Wow! Great fish!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wow so cool to see. I honestly didn’t think there was a season for them as my buddy and I have seen so many way up the river and thought it would be a blast to try for them. Will deffinatly Give them a go next year. Thanks for sharing. I too hope to get to the Frazier next year to try for the big girls. I think one day of them would be plenty judging from what I’ve seen on some shows but the problem on the Frazier was the salmon fishing closures.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

jignpigman wrote:
Wow so cool to see. I honestly didn’t think there was a season for them as my buddy and I have seen so many way up the river and thought it would be a blast to try for them. Will deffinatly Give them a go next year. Thanks for sharing. I too hope to get to the Frazier next year to try for the big girls. I think one day of them would be plenty judging from what I’ve seen on some shows but the problem on the Frazier was the salmon fishing closures.

jignpigman,

Ya there is not much of a season in Ontario. Parts of zone 1, 2, 3 and 8 have a catch and release lake sturgeon season, the rest of the province sturgeon fishing 100% closed. We had to go to our neighboring province to the East to catch these guys, but well worth the drive.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

very cool and a bucket list fish for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:02 pm 
Walleye Fry

Dinasors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:25 am 
Perch

Wow sweet sturgeons!!! Yes quebec in zone 8 on lake st louis has great sturgeon fishing from june 15th till oct 31st... the best is september and october .

banner ad