Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:13 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

The ministry has posted the opening weekend report. Quite interesting to compare catch amounts + hours to catch a walleye over the years. I think if you study it all, the fishery has gone downhill. But if you factor in water changes like clarity due to the zebra mussels, maybe it's still half ass healthy. I believe the walleye are in different locales now + harder to catch, but still around. What kind of fishery do all of you think exists now? "good fishin", Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:05 am 
Guppy

I would have to agree with you to a degree. I think the fishery has deteriorated over the last few years, but to what extent is difficult to say. It would be premature to conclude extensive deterioration based on a single opening weekend report from the MNR. A more accurate evaluation will become evident as the season progresses over the next 3 months. Without a doubt, invasives as zebra mussels and gobies have had a negative impact on the fishery. The fish are still there, although I doubt in the same numbers as in years past, and they adapt accordingly to changing environmental conditions. Fishermen will have to adapt their techniques as well in order to be successful. However, I still believe that besides the invasives reeking havoc on the fishery, the indiscriminate over-harvesting of spawning walleyes and the lack of a minimum size limit have also dealt a negative blow to the fishery. Just my opinion.

Kappy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:50 pm 
Baitfish

Kappy,

Statistics (over time) can be extremely powerful at determining patterns and drawing conclusions. Interpreting them, however, can sometimes be challenging. Only time will tell which conclusions will be correct.

It would be interesting to see statistics on the increase in number of fishermen (and women) on the BOQ over the years. In my opinion, boat traffic has risen dramatically and with it, fish harvest probably has as well. Relentlessly promoting the heck out of the BOQ as one of the world's best walleye fisheries (to attract even more tourists) probably isn't doing much to help to preserve/protect the walleye population either.

Captain Hank

Post subject: HArd to say
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Capt Hank,
Nice to see you on the board, its been a while. It is interesting regarding fishing pressure. Based on some of the conversations I have had with the folks at Glenora fisheries and my foggy memory I believe the fishing pressure has dropped when compared to the good ole days. On the other hand pressure for bass has jumped big time. In fact this summer in August there will be 3 major Bass Tournaments all running the same weekend on the Bay.

banner ad