Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boat Bunk Carpet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:46 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey guys.
I have to replace my bunks on my boat trailer now that I noticed that one is completely rotten to the point of almost ready to fail(now recommend that we all watch for that), and was wondering where you buy the carpet for that. I called a local marina and they didn't know.
Pretty sure that I have bought it years ago and it is specifically made for that.

I'm in Kingston
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Boat Bunk Carpet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:31 pm 
Goby

Amazon. Look up Trailer Bunk Marine Carpet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:39 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Gap,

I’m pretty sure either Wards or Boat Warehouse in Kinston can order bunk carpet from their suppliers. May take 3-4 days to come in.

Buy 2x6 for regular trailers and 2x4 for small boards. Not sure who sells marine grade lumber. Cedar or pressure treated may be your best next option.

If this is for a larger boat I would use carpet glue to fasten the carpet to the boards otherwise the carpet will rip the first or second time you load your boat.

Good Luck,
Batman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:40 pm 
Walleye

Forget the carpet...go with plastic slides. Less friction (easier loading/unloading), more durable, and better cushioning for hull protection. A few more $$ than carpet, but these will last forever.

https://www.caliberproductsinc.com/mari ... Slides.php

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the replies. I found the carpet at Marine Outfitters. And thanks for the link Crowman. I think I will just stick with the carpet though. I have to do this asap as the one 2x6 is ready to fail.

How big is big Batman. My boat is a 18 foot Lund aluminum with 175 2 stroke and 9.9 kicker. Wasn't planning on gluing the carpet. The total boat weight is around 2600 pounds. Opinions on this??

PS..I love my boat :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:35 pm 
Walleye

I did it on my nitro trailer and didn't glue it. I did it probably 6 years ago, and the carpet and boards are still solid. I just used staples.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:50 pm 
Walleye

cannitro482 wrote:
I did it on my nitro trailer and didn't glue it. I did it probably 6 years ago, and the carpet and boards are still solid. I just used staples.

What he said.

I used 2 X 6 cedar and then predrilled and countersunk the galvanized carriage bolts before wrapping with quality bunk carpet. I also used stainless staples. I left a small 1/2 inch gap between the edges of the wrapped carpet on the underside of the bunk before stapling for better drainage and drying. Don't know if that last step was necessary, but, replaced approximately 5 years ago and they are still solid and look like new.
Boat is an 18 foot Lund with a 135 Optimax and 9.9 kicker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:15 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Gap, Your boat is pretty big. Mine was an 18 ft Lund Pro-V with a 150 HO Etec. I had it 22 years and replaced the bunks a few times. I have stapled carpet with long stainless staples as well as used glue. From what I remember the glued carpet lasted longer. I also only had two bunks for the boat so there was more stress on the carpet bunk. My new 19 ft Lund has four bunks. I imagine there is less stress on the new trailer. I am pretty sure the carpet is only stapled. Both trailers were made by Shorelander. BATMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:37 pm 
Walleye

The other problem with carpet is that it retains moisture, and contributes to pre-mature wood rot. I've got the plastic slides on two trailers. The one for my 1999 19 ft fiberglass stern-drive, I swapped out for plastic in 2005...still looks brand new, along with the Western Red Cedar bunks. My 2019 Lund...I swapped them out on the ShoreLander after the first season...the reduced friction when winching was definitely worth it. Plus the boat seems to "glide" more naturally to settle itself in a centered position.

The plastic slides are available at West Marine, but I'm sure most marinas can order for you.

Do what you need to do...it's just that I'm a big believer in the slides...I don't understand why it's not OEM on all trailers.
It's one of the same reasons I put HyFax on the runners of my ice-fishing sled...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:26 pm 
Guppy

I used 1/2" uhmw ( puck board ) on my bunks.I can winch my 18 foot Misty River with one hand .They are mounted on 2x6 pt.When that rots I will mount them on new 2x6 pt.