Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 pm 
Guppy

I use a Makita hammer drill (DHP481) on a Clam drill plate. Love it. Has as much torque as the top end Milwaukee but half the price on Amazon. So powerful, it twisted the metal shank on the simple adapter for connecting the drill to the auger directly. Get a 5 amp-hr battery and you are golden. Haven't used a gas auger in three yrs, even on backwoods lakes with over 18" of ice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have the Eskimo Pistol as well...paired with my RIDGID hammer drill. Amazing ... and so light !!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:58 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I have used 10” Ion, 40v. Love everything but weight and bulk. Agree with the 20v Dewalt crowd and having two 20V, 5 amp hour batteries. I personally drilled maybe 100 holes with the 6 and 7.5 inch K-drills and both the Dewalt regular and hammer drill through 12” of ice a week ago on Red Lake. I did not notice a difference. I would not recommend going above 7.5 inch though. We did not have the second handle brace and I would recommend it. If you don’t brace against your body you can hurt yourself.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:12 am 
Walleye Angler

Dumped my 36 pound Jiffy 10 inch Propane Auger and went with a Dewalt 20 volt brushless hammer drill & Eskimo Pistol auger. Does the job well and weights 8 pounds. A 28 lb reduction when walking is huge.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 am 
Walleye Angler

Third season with millwaki fuel 18 and K drill. No complaints and one thing to check out Dan is the new mounts you can get from Beatdown outdoors. Check out the Ultimate battery mount quick release! If you use pan optics or any of the other forward facing sonars this offers a great solution for isolated dedicated power on a telescopic tuff mount that solves a lot of the issues guys have had. I’m in the market and considering this. Also sealite offers an adapter that for $30 you can use to power stuff utilizing the same batteries for various applications including graphs, lights, go pros etc..I no your a bass guy so you might be interested in some of these.
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 pm 
Walleye

Hey Dan did you get an auger and drill yet? Price dropped a bit on amazon $179 for the DCD996 Dewalt.
Has anyone used the Powerextra batteries? They are a cheaper replacement for Dewalt $100 for two 6AH.

banner ad