Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Folks,
Im going to go to a power drill this winter and get rid of the ole gas auger. I need to upgrade my drill and will get a dewalt since I have their batteries already but not sure which model. Anyone with personal experience?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:11 pm 
Guppy

Drilling holes in ice puts a VERY high load on the motors, especially if you're doing several at a time, which we all want the option of doing. Definitely go with a brushless model. They are more efficient, last longer, and produce half as much heat as brushed. They are more expensive initially, but cheaper in the long run because I can tell you from experience that you will fry a brushed motor in no time. I'm a Milwaukee guy, and have been using the M18 FUEL brushless drill for two seasons (after burning out my other brushed Milwaukee) - still going strong. Oh, and keep your batteries warm and your auger blades sharp.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:18 pm 
Walleye

I’ve got an Eskimo gas auger. Solid machine. Drain the gas end of year, put fresh high octane gas and 2 stroke oil. Haven’t had any issues in 10 years. I’ll stick with this setup till it breaks

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Dan,
Have you considered a full sized electric drill such as the ION? I have been using one for three seasons now. I use an 8” or 10” auger depending on species I’m after. I use the 10” on Quinte and 8” on most back lakes. The lithium battery has performed well even when it drops well below -20C. Not as light as a hand drill but much lighter than a power auger. Most hand drills cut up to 8” holes. Good luck in you choice.
BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 pm 
Guppy

Dan, I have used a Dewalt paired with a K drill for the last two seasons now. The 20V Max brushless models are what you are going to want to go with. Hammer drill model DCD996 or the model I use which is the DCD991. The 991 has same specs as the 996 minus hammer mode, which isn’t necessary drilling through the ice. Paired with a 5amp battery, it drills plenty of 8” holes. Hope this helps.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 am 
Walleye

Strikemaster lithium 40v this will be my 3rd ice fishing season of use best auger out there I’ve got the 8 inch and my brother just bought 10 last weekend at cabalas

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:12 am 
Walleye

I have a DeWALT 20 volt brushless hammer/drill model for 2 years on a Eskimo Pistol auger. Works great, but must have the setting on hammer, to get the torque needed. Good combo, light and cuts through faster than any auger I've seen. I decided to get this one as the drill works great on the ice, and I needed a cordless drill for handy work.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:50 pm 
Walleye

I have a 40V ION 10inch, going on its 3rd winter. Sold my old gas Eskimo...nothing wrong with it, but just can't beat the efficiency and convenience of electric.

You don't mention which DeWalt batteries you have....20V would be minimum for 8 inch holes, I don't think the 12V would cut it (pardon the pun). However, DeWalt does have a 60V system on their drill/mixer combo. If your're drilling a lot of holes in late season ice...the more voltage the better. A spare battery is always nice to have on hand too.

As others have said...go brushless/ECM motor, and the hammer models offer more torque.

Also consider a dedicated unit like ION or StrikeMaster...yes a few dollars more than combining a cordless drill with an auger kit, but the balance in handling it, the amount of torque available, battery life and user-friendly features are all well worth it.

banner ad
    PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:24 pm 
    Walleye

Any of Dewalts top end stuff will be fine Dan. I'm a milwaukee guy so I use my m18 fuel series drill for ice...drills through ice like butter, I've drilled like 30 holes of 16 inch ice in a day off of one 5 amp battery...and really no more difficult drilling through ice than stuff I use it for at work.

I don't know why anyone would go gas anymore.

If I could throw my two cents in though- get a decent size battery. The power drills provide from say a 5 amp battery vs say a 2 amp battery is quite a big difference.
    If you don't have one - get at least a 5 amp battery...and it'll work great for you.

banner ad
    PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:21 pm 
    Site Admin

I have 20v batteries so will price shop and go with either the 996 or 991. Really appreciate the responses, exactly what i was looking for.

banner ad
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 am 
    Walleye

Another thing to consider Dan is a Clam adapter plate. They give you that gas auger feel

banner ad
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:22 pm 
    Walleye Wisdom

Dan, I have the 996 Brushless and have been using it for 2 going on 3 yrs. now, very pleased.
    My setup is an 8" Finn Bore shaver that was converted into new shape also going on 3 seasons. Had a friend cut off the connection sleeve and add a 15" extension. No bending over and ice thickness is a non-issue.

The reason for cutting the connection sleeve and having it welded back on is to accommodate the manual crank if I wish to do so.

banner ad
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm 
    Guppy

All great answers.....cant go wrong with the Dewalt or Milwaukee. A few tips when drilling... keep the drill on "Drill", NOT HAMMER MODE.....Also, your drill will come with an additional handle. Make sure you use the handle so you will have two points of contact on the drill. Very important to use that handle. It will help you keep the drill vertical...less binding...no broken wrists.

PS I love that the ice posts have started!!

banner ad
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:40 pm 
    Walleye Wisdom

Not a definite weight due to the fact that the battery size will change it. If memory serves me correctly my complete outfit weighs in at just over 10 lbs. with the 4 amp hour battery. I have 2 x4 a.h. batts and a few smaller batteries. Have only once needed to change to a second battery in the 2 previous yrs. I posted a video out at Potters a few yrs. ago and I believe that I was on 14-15 inches of ice. The video showed that the 2-3 holes were completed in about 6.5-7 seconds each.

banner ad
    PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:45 am 
    Guppy

Hey Dan.Check out the K drill paired with a Dewalt 996 and 5ah battery.Total weight is only nine pounds.Perfect setup if you are on foot at the BOQ.

banner ad