banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:14 pm 
Goby

I'm renting a hut on Jan. 23rd. It will be my first time fishing on BOQ. Anybody have any tips on what baits and colours to use? I will be using a tip up as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Swade,

Hottest new lure on Quinte last season was the Slender Spoon. They were hard to get last year. Now every bait store in the Quinte area has a full stock of them. Gold or Silver/blue are great colours. Old favourites include Swedish Pimple, Kastmaster, Cleoes, and the Rapala Jigging Rap.

BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 pm 
Walleye

Swade wrote:
I'm renting a hut on Jan. 23rd. It will be my first time fishing on BOQ. Anybody have any tips on what baits and colours to use? I will be using a tip up as well.

Great bunch of lures listed. Do you have a flasher or graph? That would help. Also, what are area? If there is current, you will need lures that are heavy enough to see on your flasher. 3/8- 1/2 maybe even 3/4. Good luck. Hopefully you get a PB.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:01 pm 
Goby

The hut operator is in belleville. I don't know where he has the huts. I do have a fish finder I will be using. I have used it a lot for lake trout and whitefish. I will look in to the spoons suggested. Hopefully they will work out for me. Thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:58 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Swade, THINK we just sent you an email??

Let us know if we sent it to the right Guy, okay?

Our 10 yr old Lapper is NOT happy with us, but we hopefully sent it to YOU?

Let us know, please?

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:51 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I would throw in a couple of other options for fishing BOQ. I always two-fist it. In the left hand I have a Buckshot spoon with a minnow head or full minnow. In my right I have the largest jigging rap (largest they make, in fact, I have some old ones that are out of production that are even larger than what you can currently buy), with a minnow head. The Buckshot makes noise, the jigging rap makes crazy motion. If I need to take a break or do something else, I always fish lively minnows on the baits. I have never used a tip-up on BOQ, but have experience elsewhere and have found that I catch more fish with a pole in each hand than using the tip-up. If you are not proficient using two hands at once, I recommend you put a slender spoon or some type of lighter Swedish Pimple with a very lively minnow on whichever pole you don't want to actively fish and dead stick that pole. If I have a lure I am deadsticking, I use a medium to medium heavy pole. If I switch to a heavy split shot and hook for deadsticking, I use a 32" Noodle Rod and a baitrunner reel with 8# fluoro. For the lures, I jig really aggressively and have a whole range of other jigging motions I try. Shake, lift, shake/lift, pause, nod (sort of a very faint quiver achieved by squeezing the rod grip), pound the bottom, 1' lifts, 2' lifts, 3' lifts, 5' lifts,... I consciously try to do everything to call them in and try to remember what I was doing when a mark shows up or I catch a fish, to repeat it If I get a fish come in, then I keep moving, but usually tone it down. If I can get them to come up at all, I do the shake/lift motion while reeling very slow, with some pauses. Many of my fish 50%+? I never see. They are just on it after letting it drop, or they kamikaze the bait hard. My buddies who are super subtle with their jigging motions out-fish me when the fish are super tight-lipped. Which, of course is often true on BOQ and everywhere else. I just don't have the personality to do subtle very long. I swing for the fences with my jigging motion. I am not stupid though. If I have fish come in and leave over and over, I downsize everything and go subtle. As for colors, for jigging rap, my number one used to be blue/chrome. That is now tied with red/chrome. Second choice is white/chartreuse. For Buckshot, I fish kind of a perch color or a blue color. For Swedish Pimple, I fish gold. I have a ton of other lures I will run through when nothing is happening. I will also go with the smallest jigging rap and a minnow head in the middle of the day to catch perch and have a shot at smaller walleye. I personally have never caught a walleye over about 4 # on the subtle stuff. All my bigs come on the biggest baits. As noted, on parts of BOQ, current will blow your lure out from under your depthfinder's view if you don't go heavy. My final comment is that BOQ has been an extremely cruel mistress. I figure 50% of the days you only have a shot or two at a fish. 40% you have short bite windows at prime time (first and last light). 10% or less of the time they go all day. As for terminal tackle, I don't use it. Except, I will occasionally put a ball bearing swivel ups 2-3' above my lure. I fish either 15# mono with a 15# fluoro leader, or straight 14# mono. I used to use braid, but broke off too many really large fish by cutting the line on the edge of the hole. Anyone who has fished BOQ much, knows what it feels like to set the hook and feel like you hooked an anvil. You cannot move a fish in the double digits with a hookset. Turn everything lose above 20". Let the big girls go. Plus, they are full of poison once they get old.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:25 pm 
Guppy

Great read and great advice! It sure is a challenge out there most days and you're right about changing it up. We also always let the bigger ones go. Sure is a nice feeling afterwards.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:59 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great post, IMBOW.

Thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:37 am 
Goby

Thanks for your replies. I will let you know how I make out on Sunday.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 am 
Guppy

I'm looking to head out for the weekend of Feb 11-13. I've never fished Quinte (ice or open water) and rarely fish for walleye, I think we'll head out from Potters with my ATV unless someone recommends a must launch spot. Planning to stay out 2 nights. But I'm just starting to research now, found this map here on the forum https://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.13 ... orm=LMLTCC
Thanks for the guy who made that!

Do many people stay out overnight? What depths should we be targeting? I saw some lure and colour recommendations: slender spoon, swedish pimple, etc. Thanks again for providing tips and not keeping secrets!
I think we'll aim to be set up Friday mid morning and then break down and head out after the Sunday morning bite.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:23 am 
Goby

Been put fishing since 6am. Marked a lot of fish. I've only caught about a dozen perch. Hopefully the walleye will bite this afternoon.

banner ad
banner ad