Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:44 am 
Guppy

Good day folks!

well i am off to Great Bear Lake fishing for monster lake trout :P in the next few weeks. i thought i would quiz you experienced BOQers on line selction.
i am contemplating using Power pro (20 lb) on my trolling reel with a P-line (fluoro) leader. my questions are:
1. these fish are heavy - 50+ pounds is not uncommon so should i rely on using a uni to uni knot between the line and leader? or should i use a high quality barrel swivel? can a uni to uni knot stand the weight of pull of a fish that size?
2. how long should the leader be? it is very clear water.
3. or should i use a good quality mono or even straight P-line? is the power pro too hard on the fish at hook set? if so, should i use a longer and more limber rod?

i appreciate your great knowledge on this subject. yes i will be pulling spoons and flatfish and big ones at that!! you guys helped me out before on the use of planer boards - much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:39 am 
Walleye Angler

you could try using a "bloodknot". us fly fishers use it to join tippets to our leaders or make knotted tapered leaders. you can find how to do it on any fly fishing website, it's also known as a "barrel" knot. certain knots cause weak spots in your line, the weakest usually being a clinch knot at the hook. this knot should do the trick for you, as many guys are using this knot when going after fish such as steelhead. but that's just my suggestion :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am 
Guppy

Hey Hoser,

i FF too. i use an albright knot to tie my leaders to line and it is easy to tie as well.

i am just not too comfortable with the thought of using a knot to tie 2 lines togehter and believe the barrel swivel might be a little stronger for those big fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:56 pm 
Walleye Angler

I heard of some people doing that, I wasn't sure, just thought it was the norm to tie the leader to the fly line using a nail knot (I hate those, they are hard to tie) I thought of using an albright, after hearing from you that you use it I think I'll give it a try next time I put a new leader on. I don't know much about barrel swivels so I can't help you with that. I just picked up a fly rod a few months ago and I am doing so much better with that than I have with spinning tackle in the last 20 years. I guess I was just born to fly fish and haven't found out till now.
As for using flouro, you may only need a few feet of it for a leader, unless you plan on just filling your whole reel with it, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. berkley vanish is good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

Was that a bloodknot or a Cold Creek "chubknot"? Hoser.....please clarify this.

lol....just having fun

Don Stokes

PS I was just at the famous Stellako (sp?) R. west of Prince George BC a few days ago. Very beautiful with a 3 pd rainbow released to swim another day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

hehehe, well I have caught quite a few chub in that creek with that knot in my leader. chub can be fun when the brookies arent' biting. anyone else catch chub in the moira??? I caught one 2 weeks ago and suprised to see those in there.

banner ad