Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm 
Guppy

I'm looking to head out for the weekend of Feb 11-13 with a buddy. We've never fished Quinte (ice or open water) and rarely fish for walleye, I think we'll head out from Potters with my ATV unless someone recommends a better/must launch spot. Planning to stay out 2 nights (ice safety?). But I'm just starting to research now, found this map here on the forum https://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.13 ... orm=LMLTCC
Thanks for the guy who made that!

Do many people stay out overnight? And with that question, ice safety seems to be sketchy vs other bodies like Simcoe, Eric, etc. by mid-Feb is it still an issue for a 3 day window?
I saw some lure and colour recommendations: slender spoon, swedish pimple, etc. Thanks again for providing tips and not keeping secrets!
I think we'll aim to be set up Friday mid morning and then break down and head out after the Sunday morning bite.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:56 am 
Walleye

Andrews, Potters is a no machine park. so check on your maps for Aikins Rd just to the west or Wilkie Rd to the east just inside town.

good luck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I would head further east in my opinion in February. Get down around huffs great parking for overnight or day $5.00 a day open field and we’ll groomed or park at Sherman’s point boat launch and ride out from there towards Sherman’s point. As for ice. This is some of the best ice we have had in a few years and with temps staying pretty cold you will have ice for your trip I’m sure. If your planning getting a room for overnight stay. Huffs is like a 15 minute drive from all hotels. And Sherman’s is like 18 minutes.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:59 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Some advice for a first timer to BOQ. Unless you are on a fish highway like the reach, Huff's etc., move if you don't see fish. Especially Big Bay and Hay Bay, don't just sit in one spot if you are not seeing fish or getting action. When I say move, I don't mean 10 feet, or 50 feet, or even 100 feet. I mean move in increments of 100 yards or way more. Stay far from any other fisherman. Also, if you have multiple people in your group spread way out and have everyone fish different lures, colors, techniques. If you have not fished for walleye, read some of my other posts for advice. In short, though, fish a dead stick with a lively minnow back hooked 12" off the bottom. If you are really a perch fisherman, than put your favorite perch lure on the other rod and work it looking for fish. I like a perch talker, the smallest Buckshots, and the two smallest sizes of jigging raps for perch. In general perch are way more numerous and easier to catch than walleye. Have a larger spoon and a jigging rap ready on other rods in case you see a big mark move in, so you can drop one of those down. Always tip your baits with a minnow head (full minnows sometimes work too). Also, morning and evening, switch to your walleye lures. Mid-day (specially on sunny days) is when I switch to perch if walleye are not doing anything. Also, if you see fish up off the bottom, fish them. I personally have never caught a big fish in the middle of the water column, but have caught many nice eaters there. Perch can make the difference between hating BOQ and not hating BOQ. Finally, you often have to tease the fish like you tease a cat that is tired of chasing your feather on a string. You have to be patient and read how they respond to what you do. Never give up and never quit before full dark. When nothing else works for me, I go crazy aggressive and try to p~~~ the fish off, or call them in to hit my deadstick.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:18 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great post, IMBOW.

Thanks for sharing...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:47 am 
Guppy

@bigbassin18
We're planning to camp on the ice.

@IMBOW
Awesome thank you for the info!

I'll look at Sherman's and Huff's

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Andrews wrote:
@bigbassin18
We're planning to camp on the ice.

@IMBOW
Awesome thank you for the info!

I'll look at Sherman's and Huff's

There was a guy last year that camped out down here off the cables for 3 days as well. Videotaped basically the whole thing. Parked at the corner for the days. On the day he left someone nice even helped him off the ice with all his gear

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:07 pm 
Guppy

Hey guys, thanks again for the info and tips!

I think we've settled on Huff's.
Can anyone confirm for me if the field in the aerial below is the parking area?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Andrews on Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:45 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi Andrews: (sorry!)

Good foto - what Drone?

Rgds, Wordpecker
(Mavic - Original)

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:05 pm 
Guppy

Hey Wordpecker, that's just from Google Maps

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:59 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Duh, whutta Dummy!

Should have figured THAT out, easy enough!

Be a real PITA to pack a Drone on one of these trips!

That's why we asked.

Tks for clarification!

Rgds, Wordpecker - a Drone Nutcase

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:39 pm 
Walleye Fry

That is the correct field. There is plenty of room at the water to unload your quad and gear, plus turn around with a trailer and go back up to park. We spent three nights off Pete's Point after launching from Huff's. I put $30 bucks and a note in the cash box of the lot so he knew we were OK and to cover the overnight parking as well. I did not know if it was required, but thought better safe than sorry. Good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:27 pm 
Guppy

Great idea Kenny, I'll do the same. Thanks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:50 pm 
Guppy

Well we were out in the rain and high winds Friday afternoon and overnight, then the frigid temps Saturday night. Ice was a consistent 14-16".
Lots of small fish marked, and an ok amount of perch caught, only walleye was around 10 inches. We didn't move our entire camp but did fish the open ice in many spots which wasn't any more productive.
Talked to a couple other guys on Saturday evening and they were doing the same or worse. Went to the Itty Bitty diner in town once we packed up on Sunday and the talk there was it was a slow weekend.

Was a fun weekend, the bite just wasn't on our side. Anyone on here do well?

banner ad
banner ad