Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 8:24 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice Condition Advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:46 pm 
Guppy

I am a long time B O Q ice fisherman Just thought I would offer my POV For the people that ask a general ice condition report on the B O Q. Instead of slamming them, telling them to "get out themselves", telling them they need to figure it out, telling them that the bay is a dangerous place. Why dont you ask where they wanna fish or better yet provide some advice, like huffs or thompsons or where ever. steer them away from the reach and the north side of forrester. Promote our sport and stop being jackasses. To the many good people that provide advice on here, good on you for helping promote our sport. for those who dont and have probably never iced a walley. find a new forum.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Ice Condition Advice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:01 am 
Guppy

1000 % agree dont be a richard and share some info!! 8O :roll: :roll:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:27 am 
Walleye

Think you got the wrong forum, I have found , with very few exceptions that people on this forum offer good advice. Yes I have seen a post get no response but it is not mandatory to answer a request.
Dan runs an awesome source for tips and advice, I Know I have used it many times.
There are a lot of people that do act stupid behind a keyboard but I find it refreshing to visit a site that is frequented by bunch of helpful, skilled anglers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:54 am 
Guppy

Well said. I like to come on and get updates I live on the reach but come winter i take my son and wife with me and would much rather get a report than go out and test as we go. Any actual report on ice condition between green point and pickeral point on the reach? Or any advice on where it would be better ice condition on the bay of Quinte. Looking to head out Friday afternoon and Saturday

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:00 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Only speaking for myself but here's why I'm reluctant to give even general ice info. on the Bay. The Bay ice can be very temperamental due to different factors. What's good today may not be good tomorrow. Not realizing that can make it a dangerous place.

Saying that, if your aware and exercise a little caution there's lots of good places to fish.

Nothing wrong with saying they're fishing off a certain spot but you have to be responsible for your own safety.

There are people who take big risks and if you just follow them, you could be unknowingly assuming an unreasonable risk yourself.

Personally, I've had some huge surprizes that I couldn't have lived without. I mean Foresters, mid winter, freezing weather, fished it the day before, 6 inches gone overnight surprizes. Or Huff's, 6 inches here, 2 inches 10ft to the west.

Again Huff's, I'm on 6 inches, 4 guy's 30ft over walking on 2 inches, not checking. I yell at them, get a dirty look back and they keep going without checking.

That's why I always carry ice picks and a throw line. They're not for me.

If I don't report an ice condition, then you should be obliged to check for yourself. Nothing unneighbourly about that.

Be safe.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:06 am 
Guppy

I just want to be clear about my post. My point was to those few people that put down others with rude comments or condescending comments to those folks that ask for a little help. My point is if you dont want to post a positive or helpful comment. keep your mouth shut. For the most part this is an excellent and well run forum. But as we all know there are a few jackasses in every group.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Papster wrote:
I just want to be clear about my post. My point was to those few people that put down others with rude comments or condescending comments to those folks that ask for a little help. My point is if you dont want to post a positive or helpful comment. keep your mouth shut. For the most part this is an excellent and well run forum. But as we all know there are a few jackasses in every group.

All groups and all boards, I hear you.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hot topic for sure. This comes up on every fishing forum I ever visit. Well, I have been on this site as long as anyone and I find Dan to be very helpful and honest about answering members questions about ice conditions. This is quite a rarity on other sites. I personally believe life is too short not to give out useful information that can help members with their fishing experiences. I like to send a PM to help someone out. I believe steering someone to good ice is even more important than giving them a current fishing hot spot. Fish swim and can show up under the recommended safe ice. Good Luck and Safe Fishing. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:28 am 
Guppy

I am a member of another for a different lake (Simcoe) and find this site to be more friendly when it comes to people asking questions. My Son and I are going to fish BOQ the weekend of the 19th for the first time and are excited about the adventure. I have gotten a lot of information from this site since I joined and have found from reading the various posts that most of you on here appear to be good people sharing a passion for fishing. We enjoy meeting new people out on the ice and have formed many friendships over the years. Keep up the great work on this site and I hope to run into some of you when we are there.

Cheers
Dave

banner ad
banner ad