Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cranking battery
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:16 pm 
Guppy

Hey everyone. Looking for best recommendations on starting battery for my boat. Hot stranded on the bay this morning had to use my trolling battery to get back. Running a 115 merc and electronics off of it. What everyone's thoughts on best bang for.your buck.on a new battery?

Post subject: Re: Cranking battery
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:29 pm 
Baitfish

see Hal at belleville starter and alternator, he deals in high quality batteries. Deka or Crowne batteries

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:31 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

10 years ago I bought a new boat in Kingston and the dealer installed cheap, service required batteries that I quickly ruined by not checking fluid levels.

A friend recommended Magnacharge batteries which I installed in my boat. I've used their batteries for many years without issue. Well I changed boats, I was happy to find that my new boat dealer installs Magnacharge batteries in all new boats.

I have a starting/deep cycle battery as well as a deep cycle for my trolling motor. The starting/deep cycle also runs my electronics.

They're service and recommendations are great. They test my batteries every spring to make sure they're up to snuff.

They also carry most coin and hard to find batteries at good prices.

Magnacharge Battery

660 Justus Dr, Kingston, ON K7M 4H4

(613) 634-7357

https://www.magnacharge.com/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:11 pm 
Guppy

Great thanks for the recommendation. Im replacing the factory battery that came in the boat 3 years ago when i bought it from the dealer. Been told the mercury batteries they give you do good to last 2 seasons guess im lucky to get 3 out of them

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 pm 
Walleye Fry

Recommend going with an agm. Also keep a noco battery booster in the boat for situations like that!!! Lead acids usually only good for 2-3 years. There’s a battery supplier in Trenton with very reasonable prices can’t think of the name!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I second the use of AGM batteries. I am using 3 group 27 Trojan AGM batteries. They don't need water levels to be checked. They are are very reliable. Best to have an onboard charger installed to maintain battery levels and life. Good Luck. The main cranking battery AGM powers outboard and all accessories no problem. Although I only have two 10” Helix displays while many people have four. Lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:45 pm 
Walleye Master

BATMAN wrote:
I second the use of AGM batteries. I am using 3 group 27 Trojan AGM batteries. They don't need water levels to be checked. They are are very reliable. Best to have an onboard charger installed to maintain battery levels and life. Good Luck. The main cranking battery AGM powers outboard and all accessories no problem. Although I only have two 10” Helix displays while many people have four. Lol

Are the AGM's good for the trolling motor too?? Deep cycle obviously. Any preference in brand? I'm located in Durham Region so I would need a dealer out this way.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:47 pm 
Minnow

I've been using the Energizer AGMs from Costco for my 24v trolling motor for several years and they've been excellent. Pair with a high quality charger and charge them ASAP after every use. This goes a long way toward maintaining strong performance no matter what brand you buy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Call Hal at Belleville Starter and Alternator 613-967-2277. He sells AGM and Lead Acid and probably can get you lithium but not sure. He will ask you what your set up is and then give you some recommendations. The other really good point raised by Muskyhunter is to get a jump starter power pak rated for your engine and leave it in the boat.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

Battery Outlet, Trenton 35 Gotha St

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:14 am 
Perch

This is a bit late, but I replaced the 3 OEM batteries with Odyssey marine batteries.

Throughly investigated this technology. They are "true" combined Starter and Deep Cycle.

They are amongst the very best (without the complexity of lithium), and can discharge frequently to 30 percent....even occasional 20 percent.

Unlike, most other lead acid, which should never be taken below 50 percent, if you want them to last.

Caution: the price can cause heart attack or spousal abandonment. LOL.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Yes, AGM battery are very well suited for use with trolling motors. You never need to top them up with distilled water like with wet cell deep cycle batteries. BATMAN

banner ad
banner ad