banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:07 am 
Walleye Catcher

With the Elites going out of Clayton. Anyone making the drive down to watch weigh ins? Myself personally I’m going to be on the water watching in real time following a couple of the Canadian boys are and hopefully find Brandon Palaniuk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:59 am 
Site Admin

I will be out there tomorrow on the water. Should be interesting to see who ends up on top. Weather will have literally the whole field out in the lake for the whole tournament judging by the wind forecast. Anyone on fish in the river might have it all to them self

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Also interested to see how Cox makes out. He is having a great season and hasnt fished anything deeper than 4 ft through 6 tournaments so far. If the better fish are deep he might have to go there

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Couldn’t agree more. According to the “dock talk” and with the low winds. Cox could have an amazing tournament fishing 8’ of water or less in this also. Be very very interesting that’s for sure with low winds. And who will try to just rule the river instead of the lake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:28 pm 
Walleye Catcher

61 anglers today weighed 20th a of smallmouth or better. With 27.15 taking the lead. Crazy high weights

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:43 am 
Site Admin

I saw the coverage too and with the forecast and the full moon we had there are tons of fish shallow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:39 pm 
Walleye Catcher

100% Dan. Crazy seeing the 47 angler cut line at needing 41.9 just to fish Saturday. Crazy how good the lake and river truly is

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:20 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Was out watching Cory today fish the shallows. Personally I can’t believe how fast that a pro moves around. I feel I spook the fish trying to move like they do. But I learned a lot today watching them work shallow water smallies. It was a great experience. I fish against him in a couple weeks in the 1000 island open. But the shallow bite will probably be gone by than

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have a question....Why are the smallies in shallow? Temp? Food?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:25 am 
Walleye Angler

GAP wrote:

Such a great question.
As with all creatures the Fish follow specific needs. Shelter food reproduction ect.
Most bass are finished with the spawn so they are on the shallows to find food. Exactly what they are looking for is a good question as when you know what they are feeding on then you can look for where the food is and you will find them.
If you are following the anglers you'll see that all the fish are not all in the same depth. Some are deep while others are shallow. The bonus with shallow fish is that we can target them easier than deep ones.
And yes if you wondered how the anglers find the fish sooo far away from the tournament the only answer is that they either travel hundreds of miles during practice or there is a support team identifying where the best locations are. Take your pick...
Back to the question, the smallies are cruzing the shallows to find and eat food. A little bit of advice for clear water is to cast a long ways so the fish do not see you or the boat and you will find your success will improve.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:08 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Definitely crazy weights came from the river and lake for sure. Cory Johnston peterbourgh native broke the century mark with 100.9 lbs of smallmouth taking second. And the winner weighing in 102 pounds of smallmouth in 4 days 20 fish. Quite amazing for such an amazing fishery we have in our back yard right here. Chris Zaldin did say he fished the main ducks all 4 days with the great weather. Never weighing in less than 22 pounds each day. One day was 27+ pounds. Absolutely amazing great week watching the pros work and do what they do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:25 pm 
Walleye Fry

Yes it is quite the fishery we have here in our backyard really all year round whether it be bass, walleye, lake trout. It was very interesting to watch as it always is. Not only on the st Lawernce but every tournament body of water you can learn so much from what you see live, whether it be in the boat or watching from home. Looks like everyone now will be hitting their “locations” hard lol…. Only thing is I don’t think if your out fishing you can cross to the American side to fish…

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quote:
D-wayne wrote:
GAP wrote:

Such a great question.
As with all creatures the Fish follow specific needs. Shelter food reproduction ect.
Most bass are finished with the spawn so they are on the shallows to find food. Exactly what they are looking for is a good question as when you know what they are feeding on then you can look for where the food is and you will find them.
If you are following the anglers you'll see that all the fish are not all in the same depth. Some are deep while others are shallow. The bonus with shallow fish is that we can target them easier than deep ones.
And yes if you wondered how the anglers find the fish sooo far away from the tournament the only answer is that they either travel hundreds of miles during practice or there is a support team identifying where the best locations are. Take your pick...
Back to the question, the smallies are cruzing the shallows to find and eat food. A little bit of advice for clear water is to cast a long ways so the fish do not see you or the boat and you will find your success will improve.

Thanks D-wayne.
I am used to fishing back lakes and a few years ago started drop shotting and have been stuck doing only that. Bigger boat and wanting to land more fish I obviously need to try different stuff especially if I am going to try fishing shallow. Spinner baits, tubes, and crankbaits?? Any tips.
And I have never watched a tournament before. Do they actually show the participants fishing?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:17 pm 
Walleye Catcher

GAP

What I watched and seen this weekend personally and on tv. A black 3 1/16 ounce marabou jig slow retrieve done a lot of damage. A spy bait. Jerk bait, drop shot, Ned rig. And yes your spinnerbaits all work great. Today after a little watching of Cory Johnston we left that area. And the spy bait was our biggest producer today. But I do feel the fish are starting there transition to deeper water

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wow I had no idea you could actually watch these guys fishing! Is everyone holding up binoculars? :) And thank you very much for the tips. Greatly appreciated.!!

banner ad