banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:51 pm 
Walleye Catcher

You just keep your distance that’s all. Definitely still close enough you don’t need binoculars lol. But far enough you aren’t spooking anything around the area there in. It’s crazy how many spectators are actually out on the water watching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quote:
bigbassin18 wrote:
GAP

What I watched and seen this weekend personally and on tv. A black 3 1/16 ounce marabou jig slow retrieve done a lot of damage. A spy bait. Jerk bait, drop shot, Ned rig. And yes your spinnerbaits all work great. Today after a little watching of Cory Johnston we left that area. And the spy bait was our biggest producer today. But I do feel the fish are starting there transition to deeper water

Hey Bigbassin18. Thanks again for the tips. Question.. did you mean to say "3 1/16 ounce"? I don't see them available in that size

PS...I have never used jigs

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:44 am 
Walleye Catcher

GAP wrote:
Quote:
bigbassin18 wrote:
GAP

What I watched and seen this weekend personally and on tv. A black 3 1/16 ounce marabou jig slow retrieve done a lot of damage. A spy bait. Jerk bait, drop shot, Ned rig. And yes your spinnerbaits all work great. Today after a little watching of Cory Johnston we left that area. And the spy bait was our biggest producer today. But I do feel the fish are starting there transition to deeper water

Hey Bigbassin18. Thanks again for the tips. Question.. did you mean to say "3 1/16 ounce"? I don't see them available in that size

I know pro advantage had some maybe not in 3 1/16 but maybe little smaller or slightly bigger. And high falls outfitters used to carry some too. I tried looking for it. But there used to be a guy on the Bay of Quinte 360 on fb that sold them hand tied. When throwing these. Use a light rod. With pretty light line. I use for line is 8lb pure floro.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Most of the guys throwing hair jigs use 7'6" rods in a Light power rating with larger size spools and light line. It helps with casting distance with the lighter size jigs.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:18 pm 
Perch

We were around Clayton, for a few hours, lunchtime, Wed., 13th, just ahead of tournament.
Lots of bass boats pre-fishing the whole area.
That's how many get ready.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

GAP wrote:
Quote:
bigbassin18 wrote:
GAP

Sorry for this but just to clarify....so the jigs weigh 3 and 1/16 oz? So just over 3 ounces?

And while I have your attention, what weight would you use for tube jigs. I have fished with them before but never really knew what weight or even type of jigs to use. I was using mushroom head ones I think they are called. A buddy recommended them because you can replace the tube without retying.

Thanks again

Thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:32 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Sorry no 3/16 ounce very light

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:35 pm 
Walleye Catcher

It all depends on the tubes and depth. When I’m in the river and dragging the tube on bottom I use a 3/4 ounce tube head. When I’m casting shallows and want that erratic action of a bait fish injured I go to a 1/8 ounce or 1/4 ounce pending on how hard the wind of blowing and current. That’s the thing always having to re tie. I usually have about 5 heads ready

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:30 pm 
Walleye Fry

[/Quote] Hey Bigbassin18. Thanks again for the tips. Question.. did you mean to say "3 1/16 ounce"? I don't see them available in that size

PS...I have never used jigs[/quote]

Sorry for this but just to clarify....so the jigs weigh 3 and 1/16 oz? So just over 3 ounces?

And while I have your attention, what weight would you use for tube jigs. I have fished with them before but never really knew what weight or even type of jigs to use. I was using mushroom head ones I think they are called. A buddy recommended them because you can replace the tube without retying.

Thanks again

Keep in mind current and the wind with the water can always play a role with what weight of jig head to use just because they were throwing that weight does not mean run out and get that weight, figure it out on your own and get a variety of weighted jig heads.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:41 pm 
Walleye Catcher

muskyhunter wrote:

PS...I have never used jigs[/quote]

Thanks again

Keep in mind current and the wind with the water can always play a role with what weight of jig head to use just because they were throwing that weight does not mean run out and get that weight, figure it out on your own and get a variety of weighted jig heads.[/quote]

Yeah sorry. No just 3/16 ounce for the marabou jigs. And for the tube jigs I said there before 3/4 for dragging in the current and heavy winds. And when casting in less current and wind and shallow depths and looking for more of that Reaction bite as it’s sinking down I use a 1/8
-1/4 tube jighead

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:52 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the info! I will try to put it to good use. :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:11 pm 
Walleye Catcher

bigbassin18 wrote:
It all depends on the tubes and depth. When I’m in the river and dragging the tube on bottom I use a 3/4 ounce tube head. When I’m casting shallows and want that erratic action of a bait fish injured I go to a 1/8 ounce or 1/4 ounce pending on how hard the wind of blowing and current. That’s the thing always having to re tie. I usually have about 5 heads ready

To keep a great link going... IF you were fishing an important event, BUT were limited to ONLY one jig,
what weight would you use? We'd choose a 1/4 oz Jig personally, considering it to be the most versatile to suit any/all conditions.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:00 am 
Walleye Catcher

Wordpecker wrote:
bigbassin18 wrote:

To keep a great link going... IF you were fishing an important event, BUT were limited to ONLY one jig,
what weight would you use? We'd choose a 1/4 oz Jig personally, considering it to be the most versatile to suit any/all conditions.

Rgds, Wordpecker

I don’t disagree with you a great choice. Be very versatile. My personal one would be a drop shot with a 1/4 ounce weight. It can be fished shallow or deep. And the bait selection can be versatile

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:22 am 
Walleye

Yes, with a drop shot for 90 % of summer it's a 1/4 oz. In the fall when the Smallies go deep it might be a 3/8 or even a 1/2 oz.
However, with a Ned Rig (my other go to 50 % of the time) it's usually a 1/6oz head tied on the end of my line. With the Ned you want to keep it as light as possible.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 am 
Walleye Angler

While we are talking drop shot, what is the preferred distance from hook to sinker?

banner ad
banner ad