Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Are you this ramp idiot?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:06 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

One car parked about 150 ft from the ramp (Light coloured vehicle), and then one ramp idiot parks on the ramp area where there is more than enough empty parking area for 5-8 trailers and tow vehicles. Anything bigger than a tinny would not be able to launch without a lot of grief. The flattened grass area on the other side of the trailer is where a lot of people will nose their vehicle so as to launch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:50 am 
Walleye Angler

The rate of poor ramp etiquette continues to get worse, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:11 am 
Walleye Wisdom

It is unfortunate. Parking and garbage. Was down at the church the other day and it was pretty full. Some guy parked length ways taking up about 4 spots.

I usually pick up a grocery bag of garbage around the launch every other trip. And dog ***. Why don't people who take their dogs swimming pick up after them?

It's depressing to see how our society has such little regard for people and nature.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:58 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I will repeat a storey I already posted about the ramp idiots at the Collins Bay dock in Kingston. I showed up at the ramp to launch my boat. The lot was empty but there was a Jeep Wrangler and a small trailer parked on the launch ramp. I walked out on the government dock and looked for a boat. No boats to be seen. i couldn't believe it. I decided to wait awhile. Well, after about 15 minutes I saw a PWC come around Lemoines Point. When they got to the ramp they went up on the trailer. I met them and told them that they can't just leave their trailer and truck parked on the ramp and then go for a boat ride to Kingston. They told me they only meant to go for a test drive but the time got away on them. They did tell me they were out almost an hour. Yikes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:17 pm 
Walleye

A few years ago we were on a back lake with a bit of a sketchy ramp. After you unloaded you had to go a couple of hundred yards back up the road and back in amongst the trees to clear the ramp for the next guy. We were sitting over a cane bed across from the ramp and watched a fellow back in his boat and climb into his boat to back off the trailer. Well he not only backed off he was heading up the lake leaving trailer in the water. We chased him down and he said he didn't know anyone else was on the lake despite likely passing within 15 ft of my truck coming in. He also says that he's just heading up to the other end and will only be a couple of hours so he'll move it then.
Don't need to detail the following discussion it was less than pleasant but we did convince him to move his vehicle. To add a little more to the story he went back to the ramp, loaded and went home.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:58 am 
Walleye Angler

Here is my ramp story for this week.

I picked yesterday to take my daughter out in my new boat on Lake Ontario. I went to Portsmouth Olympic Harbor to launch at 9:00. I did not realize until then that the place was set up for CORK. For those who do not know this is a sailing competition. I first thought "oh great" but the path was somewhat clear and I launched with no problem. They had even left parking spots right beside the ramp for boat/trailer parking which was great. I picked up my daughter at the Kingston waterfront and we headed out for a really great day around Wolfe Island.
Then we headed back around 4:00 and went around the hundreds of Laser sail boats and I dropped my daughter off then headed back to Portsmouth ramp. Of course as fate would have it the sailors were just heading in. I went in first but they quickly started piling in and because they were under wind power and I wasn't in a great rush I let them have the ramp. Each boat had to wait for someone to bring them their dolly to remove their boat from the ramp and it was all good. One of the spectators said that that was one "fleet" and the next would follow so I waited till the 40 or so boats were just about gone then jumped in the truck. An organizer helped direct me I and pulled down the ramp off to one side as the next "fleet" was coming in. I then jumped in my boat and tried to maneuver around all these lasers and got my boat on the trailer. I was just climbing over the bow to finish winching when a "person" walked onto the dock and told me to hurry up and get my boat out of the way. I explained that I was doing my best but would now be taking my time. He continued to harass me then his daughter who was in the water beside my boat also told me to hurry up as I was now just finishing with the winch. I said I was again doing my best and that this was a public ramp. She said get out of the way or you are going to get hit buy one of the sailboats. I just shook my head and pulled the boat out and then went over the the "person" and explained that I had waited for the first fleet at finnish and didn't understand his comments. He started again so I tried to get his name which he wouldn't give me so I noticed he was wearing a Whitby Yacht Club shirt and with the help of other Cork staff I got his name and filed a formal complaint at the CORK office. They said they would "take care of it". I told them I wanted to be contacted about the outcome. I would also like to talk to the Cork organizes about how maybe they could make their ramp use better for everyone else somehow in the future although I was ok with giving them space and accommodating them the best I could.

I will also be contacting the City Ramp guy and the Whitby Yacht Club.

I want to mention that if they had posted a sign that the marina was closed to regular traffic because of the event I would have said "well that sucks" and went to a different ramp.

Some people say "just let it go" but I think that we should put these types in there place. Put in the complaints. Make the organizers aware of the harassment.

Made me feel a little better not just driving away. Certainly put a damper on a great day though and for no reason.

This was a good vent as well. Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:18 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Gap - that's a terrible incident and experience. Very sorry to hear.

I am however, very happy to hear that you're going to follow up.

If I may, it would be good to let the City know as well.

IMO - CORK do nothing for the City. It's my understanding, they get free lodgings at Queens and St. Lawrence, donated food etc and have been very rude when I've been down at the docks and look at me like I'm trespassing.

They pretty much take over POH for all of July and into Aug; the Thousands Island Open did get a week during July but it was also a mess, with another part of a sailing competition being there at the same time.

I think they should be moved to Lake Ontario Park.

You're right though...they need to post if ramps are off limits when an event is going on.

Good luck.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Legacy. I did contact the city. Emailed David Flindall. He is in charge of the ramps. He was very receptive to my complaint and forwarded it to the head of Cork. Here is part of his reply.......

"The boat launched are public launches and are available for everyone’s use.
The City will have a meeting with CORK after the current event for a debrief of the event discussing the event and concerns.
Thanks again for bringing your concerns to our attention."

So I encourage anyone with concerns or complaints about any city ramp to contact Mr Flindall

Last edited by GAP on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:05 pm 
Perch

Odd how the majority of the morons on the ramps to the west for salmon fishing seem to be from Quebec......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:49 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

pc154 wrote:
Odd how the majority of the morons on the ramps to the west for salmon fishing seem to be from Quebec......

I myself have not run into anyone on the ramp in the moron way that was from Quebec. The pic above is a car from Ontario and just so as to clarify I am too from Ontario. This is a ramp issue not a Gender, Colour, Ethnic, or heritage problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

Fry Flier wrote:
pc154 wrote:

I myself have not run into anyone on the ramp in the moron way that was from Quebec. The pic above is a car from Ontario and just so as to clarify I am too from Ontario. This is a ramp issue not a Gender, Colour, Ethnic, or heritage problem.

The guy that I had a problem with at Cork was from Whitby yacht club. I agree with Fly Frier. I think it is just people who feel entitled. Or just @#$&holes

Post subject: Are you this ramp idiot?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:46 pm 
Walleye Master

You’re 100% right about the CORK events. They don’t move or care about anyone but themselves. They routinely walk behind my trailer as I’m backing into the ramp and this is after I’ve waited to get all the sailboats out of the water.

Majority are kids 12-18 years old and they certainly are learning the sail boat entitlement mentality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

BigMac wrote:
You’re 100% right about the CORK events. They don’t move or care about anyone but themselves. They routinely walk behind my trailer as I’m backing into the ramp and this is after I’ve waited to get all the sailboats out of the water.

Majority are kids 12-18 years old and they certainly are learning the sail boat entitlement mentality

I totally agree. That is why we need to put on complaints about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:27 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Gap.

I wasn't comfortable providing a name until it was posted and spoke with him but Dave is a good friend of mine and very receptive to receiving good and bad comments about the launch facilities.

Anyone else with issues, please contact him.

Cheers