Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smallmouth
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:55 am 
Goby

Thinking about heading to BOQ to fish smallies on ontario. Just wondering if its worth my time to head to the duck islands or would i be better off slaying largies in the bay?

i heard that the smallies are huge around the ducks but would like to hear from some locals....

Any help would be appreciated

Post subject: Just speaking for myself
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:17 am 
Site Admin

My experience has been that the ducks produce early season. After that they go offshore and one would have to spend some time looking at the maps looking at the humps shoals out and around that area. The results of the Quinte Fishing Series over the past years show that the first 1 and sometimes 2nd tournament are won on Lake O. smallies but then the largies usually dominate. The Classic in Sept. has also seen good smallies brought in. Good Luck

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:46 pm 
Goby

Hunter - I was out on the Bay on Sunday with three other guys (two boats). Had a pretty slow day but went about 50-50 small/large myself. The guy I was fishing with is a typical tournament guy - runs all over the place at Mach 2 but couldn't catch fish to save his life. (if you could win a tournament by looking cool - nobody would touch him)
The oher two guys fished just smallies in a very small area and did very well in fact had they been entered in the tournament on the week end they would have won. ( I always seem to get the short end of the stick) :wink:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:56 pm 
Goby

never tried the ducks, huntinator. I do agree with Dan Elliot, though, and he has never led me astray. The largies are probably your best bet - a buddy of mine got a 3rd place (maybe 4th) last year picking off largies in the weeds. as for me, I enjoy the smallie action in the bay, so I avoid the tournies and the rock stars that accompany them.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:11 pm 
Minnow

I have fished the Bay a few times for Large Mouth and have done really well. Try casting white spinnerbaits during the day and zara spooks in the morning and in the evening

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:38 pm 
Goby

thanks for the replies guys, will be there tomorrow thru sat, probably head to the ducks if the wind stays down....humdrum did you get those smallies in the bay itself? or were you out in ontario?

would love to find smallies in the bay but really havent been successful in the two days i was out there in the past....also anyone know where i can find a nautical map in belleville, i have the hotmaps but it really doesnt show the humps too well...

anyway thanks in advance and i wait to hear your replies...and i will give my updates on how i did....

banner ad
 Post subject: Smallmouth
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:33 am 
Goby

I was out with a friend who is in the derby this weekend in Lake Ontario. There is alot of fish out there. We got alot of fish but he wouldn;t stick around to catch them, guess he thinks he can save them or something.
There was alot of people out there, saw some nice walleye there too.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:09 pm 
Goby

I was wondering how the bass fishing is around mohawk bay...my dad and I used to go out there all the time for walleye...but now that the bay has changed I hear bass are exploding!

banner ad