Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lake O smallies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:12 am 
Site Admin

They were biting pretty good with the nice stretch of stable weather. Most of the fish were in the 25-40' depths. Ed and I lost count with the majority of fish in the 3-5lb range. The water temp was 56 and we were hoping for a shallow water jerkbait bite but it didn't happen for us. Water clarity is improving. We launched our of waupoos and noticed Joe(owner Waupood marina) has spray painted a "No power loading" sign on the wall at the launch.

Post subject: Re: Lake O smallies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:09 pm 
Walleye Angler

DanElliot wrote:
They were biting pretty good with the nice stretch of stable weather. Most of the fish were in the 25-40' depths. Ed and I lost count with the majority of fish in the 3-5lb range. The water temp was 56 and we were hoping for a shallow water jerkbait bite but it didn't happen for us. Water clarity is improving. We launched our of waupoos and noticed Joe(owner Waupood marina) has spray painted a "No power loading" sign on the wall at the launch.

Hey Dan. I was out yesterday around Wolf Island. I went for pike but couldn't find them so I switched to smallies. Drop shotting in 10 feet of water was good for me. Not a lot but biggest was 5.5. Have never tried the jerkbaits but did a bit of Googling when I read your post. Looks like X raps are a good start. #8 3-5 feet or should I go deeper.
And i also read they are better when the water is 50 degrees or so.

Any little tips?

Really wanted to get some big pike though. Maybe I will try like Mallory bay or hay bay next time. Looking for that "deep weed edge"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I was out yesterday and launched from POH.

It was a tough bite but managed a few with this 5.3 the biggest.

I couldn't believe how many huge bass we saw sight fishing, but wouldn't touch anything we threw at them, in an area I caught a 7.0 last week. I'd bet there were multiple smallies well over 7lbs.

GAP - I'm partial to Berkley so would also suggest looking at the their Cutter jerk-baits. They have Berkley Fusion hooks, which I think are the sharpest on the market and a great price. They come in 2 sizes - 90 and 110 and will run 4 - 8'.

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

legacy wrote:
I was out yesterday and launched from POH.

It was a tough bite but managed a few with this 5.3 the biggest.

I couldn't believe how many huge bass we saw sight fishing, but wouldn't touch anything we threw at them, in an area I caught a 7.0 last week. I'd bet there were multiple smallies well over 7lbs.

GAP - I'm partial to Berkley so would also suggest looking at the their Cutter jerk-baits. They have Berkley Fusion hooks, which I think are the sharpest on the market and a great price. They come in 2 sizes - 90 and 110 and will run 4 - 8'.

Cheers

Will do. Thanks!
You

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Nice fish Paul!! Super frustrating when you can see them and they wont bite. Sometimes you get lucky and can get one to go which fires them all up.
Gap,
I have a bunch of different jerkbaits Xrap, megabass, cutters and pointers ect. I find its less about what you're throwing and more about the cadence they want, fast , slow, short rips , long pauses and so on. I generally throw jerkbaits in 12' or less but occasionally 15'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

DanElliot wrote:
Nice fish Paul!! Super frustrating when you can see them and they wont bite. Sometimes you get lucky and can get one to go which fires them all up.
Gap,
I have a bunch of different jerkbaits Xrap, megabass, cutters and pointers ect. I find its less about what you're throwing and more about the cadence they want, fast , slow, short rips , long pauses and so on. I generally throw jerkbaits in 12' or less but occasionally 15'

Thanks Dan!

Does anyone use Husky Jerks as jerk baits for smallies? I have a bunch of those for some reason.
And any tips on what colors I should be aiming for with jerk baits? I stick to black when dropshotting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:47 am 
Walleye

Although I have a bunch of the newer Japanese style jerk baits, I still often fish the reliable old school Rapala Husky Jerks. The smaller sizes (3 and 4 inch) and natural minnow colours (nothing too gaudy) work best for me.

Black works well for dropshotting because it imitates Gobies which are bottom dwellers. Jerk baits are usually fished in the top 10 ft of the water column ... so
Shiner, Shad and Perch imitations generally work better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

CrowMan wrote:
Although I have a bunch of the newer Japanese style jerk baits, I still often fish the reliable old school Rapala Husky Jerks. The smaller sizes (3 and 4 inch) and natural minnow colours (nothing too gaudy) work best for me.

Black works well for dropshotting because it imitates Gobies which are bottom dwellers. Jerk baits are usually fished in the top 10 ft of the water column ... so
Shiner, Shad and Perch imitations generally work better.
Quote:

Thanks Crowman! I will be trying them out tomorrow.
Back permitting :roll:

banner ad