Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:07 pm 
Walleye

A week ago last Sunday (Oct. 23) My buddy Gerry and I had our very 1st trip to Waupoos. I have seen posts from BobV, Hablover and a few others post some great fishing reports from Waupoos and I wanted to give it a try. It's a bit early for the Walleye in the Reach so I thought it might be nice to go and catch a few pike. Waupoos, here we come!

We arrived just as the sun was rising. It was picture perfect.

Not really knowing where to go we Drove towards Cressy until we got to some water that was 25 feet deep and we started trolling. Running 4 planerboards with an array of crankbaits, bucktail spinner and swimbaits.

It was a beautiful autumn day and the scenery was beautiful!

As the sun rose higher in the sky it warmed up and was pretty comfy. As we worked our way along the shoreline we stumble upon some pretty spectacular bluffs.

We worked our way towards Cressy point and turned back. We trolled past the bluffs again and had not moved a rod. But then, fish on! finally, a Waupoos Pike! It was pulling pretty good and we were excited to finally hook into a Pike but as we got it closer to the boat we discovered that it was a Smallmouth Bass pulling on the line. Not a bad size smallie either.

We caught this Bass on a Purple Deep diving Husky Jerk @ 100 feet back of the planerboard.

We continued trolling around the north shore by the bluff and to the west and we had another planerboard go off and it too was pulling pretty good! Did we finally hook a decent pike? I got on the rod and it was taking line and really giving a good fight. When i finally got it close enough to the boat it was a huge bass but not just one. I had hook the other trolling line which also had a bass on it so I was fighting both of them at the same time. No wonder it pulled so hard. We netted both fish and the biggest one was 5 pounds 2 ounces. One caught on the Purple deep diving husky jerk and the other a big bucktail spinner.

Great fun but still no Pike.

We went on to catch a couple more smallmouth Bass.

We caught 5 Bass in total and we enjoyed catching them but we were targeting Pike. Where were these elusive Waupoos Pike that I have seen so many pictures on.

We trolled through some different water. Moved south and then west and back north a bit and still nothing.

Finally we get into an area out of the wind a bit and bam I get a hit and fish on and 5 seconds later, bam, we get another fish on. After a couple hours of nothing we now have a double header on the go and the are both pulling pretty go. I get mine in and It's a beauty Pike. Finally we have landed a Waupoos Pike. My buddy get his to the boat and mine is all tangled up in the net. Before I can get mine free of the net, his pike throws the hook at the side of the boat. We are still both pretty happy about hooking these fish even though we lost one. This Pike was just shy of 10 pounds and was caught on the lure of the day, yes the purple deep diving Husky Jerk.

So, we continued to troll the same area and within an hour we had caught a total of 4 pike. 3 of them on the Purple Husky Jerk and one on a Gold Husky Jerk. It was great fun and we were quite pleased to have finally found some of the elusive Waupoos Pike on our first outing.

We packed it in at 4 pm satisfied with 9 fish total. 5 Bass and 4 Pike. All fish were live released and swam away hearty and healthy.

We drove back to Belleville with happy smiles and a great day of camaraderie and catching.

Tight lines!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:10 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Guess I have to start using my planner boards for bass. lol

Great report and fishing.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:25 am 
Walleye

Always enjoy your reports. Haven't been out as much as I like, (stupid work). Will only get better as the water temp drops.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:47 am 
Site Admin

You've had some great outings lately. Loved the big laker. Great pictures and reports thanks for sharing

banner ad