Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:54 pm 
Walleye

Hi Everyone!

Last time I was out fishing, it was a bit rough at times and a couple of my planer boards kept releasing because of the heavy wave action. The spring tension was adjusted to maximum pressure but they released anyway and far too frequently for my liking. I found this a little frustrating after repeatedly resetting boards and then eventually just wrapping the line around the clip a couple of times just so we could continue using them.

I was just going to pony up for new release clips but when I went to the tackle store, they actually had replacement pads for a lot less money than replacing the clips.

I run up to 6 Off Shore OR-12 side planer boards.

I have 5 used boards and one new in the package to replace the one I lost in Lake Erie. The OR-12 planer boards have A red OR-16 release clip at the back with a center pin to hold the line and an orange OR-19 release clip at the front of the board which allows the board to release. After a closer inspection of OR-19 release clips, it appeared that the pads were a little worn out. At this point I decided that I would replace all the OR-19 Clips on my boards.

The OR-19 releases are sold in a package with two releases and two shower curtain clips (For use with big boards or kites) Shown Below

At the store, they only had a single two pack of the OR-19 clips priced at $17.99. If they did have 3 packages it would have totaled $61.00 with taxes in.

Then I spotted a solitary, remaining package or replacement pads.

So I scooped these up. The instructions said some Krazy glue was needed to glue them in so I stopped and picked up a small tube of Krazy Glue. $8.99 for the pads and 5.50 for the glue. So for just over 16 dollars with taxes in, I was able to replace the release pads myself.

This is where the adventure begins. The original pads are also glued in, so some elbow grease and scraping with a sharp knife is required. Then getting a very small dab of glue on only one side of the pad and trying seat it properly in the clip was a bit of an adventure. I used a pair of vice grips to hold the clips open while doing surgery. I ended up with glue on my fingers, the table, the floor and the knife I was using to place the pads back into the clips. In the end, I did get them all seated properly with no glue on the line clamping side of the pads. It took me about 2 hours start to finish. I wouldn't describe it as a particularly enjoyable activity. I saved $45.00 by replacing the pads rather than buying new release clips.

I'm not sure which method I would recommend for anyone else considering pad replacement. Replacing the pads was cheaper than purchasing new release clips but what's your time worth? I guess like anything in this world, you pay for convenience.

Tight lines and have a great day!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:19 am 
Walleye

I was having same issue last fall, " reminder to self" don't use braid in a standard release!, I didn't see the replacement pads, after recovering from the sticker shock, I ventured online, found HD fishing line releases, available in Red or Black, complete with the inner line capture nipple. No issues so far! anybody else using the knock offs?
Took a quick look today they are $26 for 10 red, delivery by Nov 15th with Prime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Kevin.
amazon canada fella the red OR 16 I use them for all my planer boards and clip weights 30 bucks for 20 pack 2 or 3 weeks delivery or 17 bucks for pack of 7 delivered next day!!!!
see you soon at merland park cottages ?? so you can take a look at the quality compared to the original offshore tackle clips if interested
cheerz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:13 pm 
Walleye

gordo1000islands wrote:
Kevin.
amazon canada fella the red OR 16 I use them for all my planer boards and clip weights 30 bucks for 20 pack 2 or 3 weeks delivery or 17 bucks for pack of 7 delivered next day!!!!
see you soon at merland park cottages ?? so you can take a look at the quality compared to the original offshore tackle clips if interested
cheerz

Thank you guys, for your replies.

I did order some of the red knock off clips with the center pin to hold the line from Amazon before writing this post. I will certainly use them on the back of the boards and for my snap weights. I couldn't find on Amazon, clips without the center pin like the orange OR - 19 Clips and that's why I went the pad replacement route. I like my boards to release when I get a fish so I'm not fighting the board and the fish. Also, so the board tracks behind the boat with less chance of tangling my other lines. So, I definitely wanted a clip that releases on the front of my boards. I'm pretty excited about getting down to the Bay to do some Pickerel fishing. I'm hoping to get down this Friday or Saturday for the day. And Gord, I am booked in at Merland Park, Nov 23 to Nov 26. Look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Buy the OR18's and be done with it. They have adjustable tension setting so you can adjust on the fly with a small screwdriver based on what line you are using and they dont let go!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:36 am 
Walleye Angler

Kevin.
Yes we will be arriving Thursday 24th for thanksgiving football with some adult beverages and fish the last 2 days of the tournament, see you next week
Cheerz

banner ad