Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:21 am 
Perch

Morning Everyone,

Was hoping to go fishing this weekend, the weather looks great and I can probably sneak a couple hours each morning.

Has anyone been to the Pryners cove or McFarland launches lately on the County side? Are either of those launches still usable? I've got a 16' deep hull aluminum so I don't need much of a launch, but one is definitely nice to have.

Also, anyone been out there targeting lakers lately? I don't need any hot spots but I'd love some depth and general areas to try for this time of year. I've mostly been doing Walleye in the Big Bay area all year and I've never had any luck targeting lakers, hoping to change my luck this year.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:37 pm 
Walleye Fry

I launched at pryners on Monday and the launch was good.

McFarland I think is in picton bay which was frozen on Monday
Finkles is a good launch right now but a longer boat ride
Saturday looks good, I would be going out fishing if I didn’t have a prior commitment

Good luck Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:31 pm 
Perch

Thanks for the info Rob, sounds like Pryners it is!

I'm going to head out towards the gap from there and set myself up in 50-80FOW and see if I mark anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:15 pm 
Walleye Fry

Good ,
we had a lot of action in 45 feet in the gap on the Lake Ontario side even caught a 31 inch walleye on a spoon!

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:43 am 
Walleye Angler

Lakers around Amherst Is. are shallow this time of year.....40' & less

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:14 pm 
Perch

Thanks everyone for the tips! Got out this morning and had a great trip. Launched at Pryners cove and there was no ice to speak of. Made a quick run to the gap and started jigging the green bouy in about 70-80' of water with a white jigging rap. Got hit within about 20 min and landed a nice 26" laker. He was bleeding pretty good so into the cooler he went even though that is a bigger fish than I would normally keep.
Tossed a dipsy diver on with a chrome spoon and trolled the lake Ontario side in that same depth range and lost two fish before landing a 32" fish. Released him safely and then had my line break on another fish before realizing I forgot my mono at home so back to jigging it was lol.
Went back to the bay of Quinte side and started jigging near the point of the County in about 40-50' of water and got another nice 32" fish followed by a gorgeous 36" or so fish after that on a white tube jig. Both fish hit right around 40' of water. After that it was time to call it a day and head home.
BBQ trout tonight.

I have pictures but I'm not sure how to upload them on this forum. If I make an imgur album and link it does that work?

Thanks again muskyrob and Turk32, that is the single most successful day of fishing I've ever had in my life!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Sounds like we both had a pretty good day hms. The lakers are pretty well everywhere !!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:20 pm 
Perch

Are they ever! I basically went all the way around the gap plateau and was marking and hitting them all along the ridge of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:32 am 
Walleye Master

Makes you wonder how many of them are actually in the lake. We were hitting them steady on bottom In 70-90 fow too. So they’re from 25’ all the way out stacked lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:18 am 
Perch

Figured I would recycle this same topic for another week.

Been colder this week, but not THAT cold.... anyone been out near Pryners Cove / The Gap this week so far?
Trying to see if the boat launch is still a boat launch, weather for Saturday and Sunday look cold but pretty calm and with a good wind.
With the way the bite has been out there, would be nice to get out once more before everything freezes up if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

I put in at Finkles on tuesday with no issues. Three other trailers at the ramp. Water temp was 34. I went right through the GAP. Didn't go towards the ferry so not sure about ice down that way. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 am 
Perch

Thanks GAP, I'm keeping optimistic. The Pryners launch is only like a 25 minute drive for me so I might wander on over there regardless tomorrow morning and check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:47 am 
Walleye Angler

Took a drive yesterday starting at Colin’s bay. Launch and bay iced over till lemoins point. Open from there to millhaven ferry.. Finkles ramp iced in as is the lake till just before the gap. Then open from the gap for about 3 k then iced over from there right to Glendora ferry. Ramp at ferry solid ice as is the entire picton Bay Area with a few small open water patches out from cement plant. Hay bay ice from back end flats right to Sherman’s point. 3 guys out from the church but ice looked sketchy and shoreline is hit and miss as far as getting on ice. Over 49 bridge and still lots of open water to the west towards big bay I’m sure decent ice around Mississauga point and west. To the east it is iced over right to foresters but small patches of open water around the bridge and in the middle towards foresters. This weekend weather should firm things up hopefully for next week. I did not go on and ice and this is only what I could see visually from my truck. No boats could be seen in the reach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 am 
Perch

Hey jignpigman, thanks for that update! Sounds like it will be pretty iffy at Pryners cove tomorrow based on that info. It's about 4-5 km West of the gap so the ice might be there....
I am only 25 min away though from the launch so maybe I'll head over anyways and take a look, worst case I had a nice Saturday morning drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 am 
Walleye Angler

Ya hard to see because of the trees on highway 33 but judging by what I seen and the temps yesterday and last night I would say pryners cove would be iced over by now as well. I’m sure there will be some safe ice around by next week and the boats will have to go into hibernation again for a bit! Lol

banner ad