Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:29 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I have always been a two-fister: Buckshot in the left hand and Jigging Rap in the right. It has been a great one-two punch wherever I have fished. However, in the last two years I started fishing lakes that were famous for dead-stick or tip-ups producing 25-75% of the fish. Long story short, I have fallen in love with them because they work and they are fun. They also produce a wide variety of species including my largest pike through the ice.

I have not been to BOQ in that interim but am going in late-Feb (ice permitting). Does anyone here have experience with tip-ups or dead-sticking? I know high current areas would be challenging, but what about Big Bay, Hay Bay, etc.

Love to hear if others fish them. I only have seen one youtube video of BOQ with tip-ups.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:40 am 
Walleye

Funny you mention that, this podcast popped up in one of my feeds this morning from the Fish'n Canada guys where they answer a question about tip-ups and mention how they don't work on BOQ - at least for them. I can say I have tried them out there with 0 success as have others who have fished with me. I guess BOQ walleye are just too smart for tip-ups! :)

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 9sb04Vh8sw

-Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:52 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I wish I could find the youtube video. It actually was the ONLY one I have ever seen on BOQ where tip-ups were being used. Seems like BOQ walleye are extremely hard to trigger. That being said, I am going to try tip-ups and/or a dead-stick this year. It has really produced in other locations where the fish were difficult to trigger. My normal go-to for hard to trigger fish is the smallest hammered gold Swedish Pimple with a minnow head. Deadly everywhere I have used it, but worthless on BOQ if there is current.

In general I go super-aggressive. It produces the biggest fish for me. Even if they won't bite it, it calls them in to hit my more subtle offering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:02 pm 
Minnow

I fish with a tip up and have had some luck with perch but that's it. When I was out last weekend there was a mild current where I was and the line got coated in brown sludge, no action on the tip up that day! Thanks for the tip on the pimple, I haven't tried going small on the dead line, but will now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:24 pm 
Minnow

They've never worked for me but I keep on trying (shrug). My 11 year old thinks he can make me a little gizmo that will jig the rod for me at my second hole. Wonder if the BOQ walleye will be tempted by something like that. If it gets built I'll post a pic - particularly if it catches something!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know the name but the only type I've seen work is the one that wind causes it to jig the lure. In general leave them home

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 am 
Walleye Angler

HT windlass tip-up. Has worked for me on Quinte.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:19 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I appreciate the input. Sounds like mostly a big NO! I will report back if I catch any after my trip in a month. I will probably bag the tip-up idea after a day or so of nothing and go back to one rod aggressive (big jigging rap) and one subtle (Buckshot or smallest Swedish Pimple, current permitting). I am not a patient person.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:06 am 
Walleye Angler

I have had zero success with them over the years on Quinte but have had success on other water bodies. A guy was using one the other day near me I believe it was a jigging jaw jacker?? Sounded good but again it did not fire even when a little flurry came in at the end of the day.