Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boat size
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:46 am 
Minnow

Looking forward to open water . . . I am thinking about upgrading my 2004 16' aluminum w/ 60hp 2-stroke to something newer (still used though), bigger, more fuel efficient and more reliable. Seeking input on size of boat and motor.

I do a variety of kinds of fishing: Quinte for walleye, Lake O for salmon, and some smaller lakes on occasion too. Most of the time it'll be two people in the boat, but would be nice to have the option of two more. I'll be solo sometimes too. So, I'm thinking something like a deep V, mod V in the 17 - 18' range with minimum 90hp + kicker. My hope is that the bigger mass and wider beam will improve comfort and safety on choppy days. Does this sound about right? If there is not a big difference, maybe I'll just keep what I have. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Boat size
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

If you don't want to use up all your lives, I would recommend a Lund, Crestliner, or Alumacraft 18 ft deep V dual console with a minimum 115 hp. Yamaha 4 stroke is a great choice for reliability. BATMAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:40 am 
Walleye Fry

I wouldn’t go less then an 18 ft and I would definitely if you can look into a Lund pro v one of the best boats on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:52 am 
Walleye

In my opinion here is a noticeable difference between a 16" to a 18.5 boat careful boat foot-I-est is very contagious along with more n more HP, if just for fishing, ask yourself how fast do you really need to go? Also check to see if that new big 4 stroke needs premium gas. In any case bring a boat load of cash and be prepared to pay a premium for the popular name brands even used
FYI.
I fish the same waters and settled on an older 18.5 Crestliner, walk through windshield, my 90hp Yamaha gets her up to 30+ MPH and burns regular gas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:19 pm 
Minnow

Thanks a million for the responses, guys. With my current boat I have to be super picky about conditions, so I don't get out on the big water nearly as much as I'd like to. Safety first, but it kills me a little every time I have to stay home because my boat is undersized.

Re Yamaha reliability - I have a new 6hp Yamaha kicker - solid quality. Won't go out on Lake O without it.

I don't need to go fast. Motor reliability is much more important to me. Great point re needing premium fuel, although I generally use premium for all my non-car engines anyway.

Sounds like 18' is the magic number. Anyone out there with a 17 footer and an opinion?? Would anyone add Princecraft to the list with Lund, Crestliner, and Alumacraft?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 pm 
Walleye

If you can find a Kingfisher...don't hesitate to buy it. Best built aluminum boat on the market...that it's made in Canada ia a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

If its the big lake you really want to fish then something 20' or more will suit better. With the increase in wind and weather I would go as big as the budget can afford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:24 am 
Walleye

When looking for your next boat it's not the brand that really matters. It's the condition of the unit. I bought an older 18.5 smokercraft with an older Johnson and it works like a charm. No electronic brains to worry about. As long as they are maintained then good to go. Just do a complete inspection and water test including the bilge pumps snd livewells. Good hunting. Ps. I also stepped up from a 15.5 ft. The extra length and beam and depth makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:30 am 
Minnow

My 1675 Lowe fishing machine with 90 merc got me out on Lake Ontario 32 times last season. Having the boat in whitby in a slip makes it easy to get out more then most as I can watch the weather and wind shifts that will flatten out the lake and run out for a few hours before she gets lumpy again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:40 pm 
Guppy

For what it's worth I have a 17 foot older model lund walk thru windshield with a 90 hp and a 8 kicker. I have been out many days in lake Ont and Erie just have to watch the weather some. I use the this same boat on Quinte with no issues. If your looking new 17 foot something is just fine. Go up to 18 foot something it's quite a bit more money.

Just my 2 sents

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:30 am 
Minnow

This is all really helpful, guys. Sounds like 18' would be ideal for me, but as Marbleyes mentioned, there is a big jump in price, particularly for the higher-quality brands. Heading to the Belleville Outdoors Show today to get a feeling for the brands/features although we'll almost certainly end up buying used. Watching Marketplace and Kijiji daily hoping for COVID Buyer's remorse!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:13 pm 
Perch

I made the move from a 16’ tiller with 50hp to an 18.5’ Alumacraft competitor tiller with 90hp 4 stroke

Couldn’t be happier

Last year was my first full year
Spent most of my time at home on St Lawrence river
Did ice out lakers on lake O
Summer salmon on lake o
Quintet fall walleye
Small lake summer bass

Did boat rides with 2 adults and 4-5 kids no issues

It’s big enough to handle a lot of conditions but not so big it’s hard to manage… don’t let anyone fool you… going from 16’ to 20’ is a big change… moving to the 18’ took a while to get used to

banner ad