Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: lighted lures
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have a question since my wife uses spinning tackle. those lighted lures I see at canadian tire (the ones with a LED in the tail and blink when in the water). she bought one and I was just wondering if they are legal to use or not, (not everything you buy is legal to use example.. blue headlights for your car or those led washer nozzle lights, etc..) I read something in the regs about using light to attract fish and just not very clear on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:12 pm 
Baitfish

has anyone ever tried those lures (Bite Light)? It looks fancy, and I am wondering if it works as they claimed.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:21 am 
Walleye Angler

When I lived in hamilton, everyone used to be lined up down the pier under the burlington bridge in the fall late at night with glowspoons hanging around coleman lanterns to charge up. we haven't used this yet but they claim that the battery last a lifetime (I guess that depends on how much fishing you do :) ) when you put it in the water the 2 treble hooks act as a switch (small current of electricity passes through the water) and it starts blinking, pretty bright I might add, I can't wait to have my wife cast it out somewhere at night and see what it looks like under the water. I'm still not sure of the legallity and I'm going to contact the MNR first, and if not, I guess we bought ourselves a new christmas tree decoration :lol:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:22 am 
Minnow

If you read the regs, the answer is in there and it's very clear. You may not use light to attract fish. You can use a lure that has a light built into it. But, that's my interpretation of the regs. Your best bet is to read them for yourself and make sure that you understand.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

found it in there last night in the front pages, guess my wife will be able to use it then, I usually never read that part, only the area specific regs/exceptions/and year round opportunities part, since I only use single barbless hook flys for everything I fish for.

banner ad
banner ad