Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:12 am 
Perch

Bit of a long tale ! Trolling the usual SW Trench and Ridge just off Main Duck Island, 5 – 8 km straight line passes on Sunday, July 30 , 7am to 2pm.

Green marker is approximately mid point of run, about 500m off it, trying to stay over 110-120 FOW (watch out for 85ft hump at south corner if turning in too close to ridge. Donated a 15 lbs trolling shark there a few weeks ago).
70-90 ft down, 5 km/hr probe speed, meat hitting all day, only one diver: 4 lakers (including a monster laker), 3 nice big Kings, and a Brown Trout twice !!

Our story: had a few hits early, with a couple of misses. Hooked up a meat, decent fight coming towards the boat, broke off about 100 ft out. Never made it to the boat and net still up in the holder.
Pulled in remains of meat rig. Broke off just at attachment to herring. Lost holder, single hook, and triple. But still had 4 ft of line with all the sparkly flies. Break at the end of the line was a bit coiled at the end where it snapped.

Few hours later, after several passes over the same long runs, hooked up, pulled in the Brown on another meat rig. Unhooked it quickly, got it back in the water. Put the rod aside after securing the hooks.

My buddy is rinsing the net, notices a bit of a tangle, says “you have broken another meat rig, here is the triple hook” stuck in the net. Darn I think. I look over at the rigger rod, but the meat rig is totally intact.
We had not lost or damaged, or had any extra gear out on deck all day. So where did extra triple hook come from ?? We still had leftover parts from morning break. We lined it up. The broken line had the same coil in the line. It was surely off a meat rig, cause it had the clear plastic sleeve in front of the hook. Still clean and shiny, so had not been it the water too long attached to the Brown.

So we caught the same Brown twice. Incredible!

(FYI put 11 hours on the water Sunday, July 23 trolling further west towards Point Petre. A bit on the wavy side, rolling around in 3-4 footers. Caught zero. That's fishing).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:21 am 
Walleye

Appreciate the report ! A little odd for a Brown to be way out there...they usually like to relate to the shoreline and don't migrate far. Possibly an Atlantic ?? They look very similar, and both NYSDEC and the OMNR heavily stock them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:35 am 
Perch

Thx for your reply. I have caught Browns in the same area over past 2 summers (1 each year). Took more pictures yesterday. Sent to experienced buddy and compared on Google images. Pretty sure its a brown.
But I agree, typically small numbers out there at Ducks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:38 am 
Walleye

I'd be most interested in seeing a photo, if you would be kind enough to post. Thanks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:40 pm 
Perch

Atlantic or Brown ??

Open to suggestions! Thx. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:52 pm 
Perch

Cropped another image, tightly.

Approx 24+ inches long. Didn't measure or weigh fish. Just a few photos and back in.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:11 pm 
Perch

Another photo from same spot last year, June 2022.

Photo of chartplotter is terrible, but blue arrow on the left shows location of last year's fish, and very close to same yesterday.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:14 pm 
Perch

Here is June 2022 fish ??

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:20 pm 
Walleye

Yep, looks like a Brown...square tail, spots on adipose fin, and upper jaw past eye. Never seen them that far out...perhaps there's a small naturalized population around the Ducks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:13 pm 
Perch

If my low level trolling skills can catch a few Browns in the same area,
the talented Fishers should be more successful.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:24 pm 
Baitfish

Definitely a Brown.

FYI, I've put 3 Atlantic's in the boat this month near Salmon Point. All just under the 24" mark, & all clipped the same. For me catching one is rare, 3.is like winning the worst lottery ever.

Never put a Brown in the boat out this way though.

banner ad
banner ad