Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Guy - Introduction
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:42 pm 
Guppy

First off, thanks for making these forums available. I've been a diligent lurker to these boards for a while.

I moved back to the area three years ago after leaving "home" to work in Burlington. When my career permitted me to choose a new location I ended up in Prince Edward County living on the Bay at Telegraph Narrows.

Living on the bay meant it was time to get a boat and getting a boat meant it was time to start fishing. I truly can't get enough of it, even though the kids and I rarely catch anything. I could continue at this torrid pace of a fish every few hours, but the kids have other ideas and I don't want them to lose interest out of sheer boredom. They are 6 and 4, so their attention span is limited. They do well to sit out there with me for a few hours without catching anything. When they do happen to catch one, well, you could sell the joy if you could bottle it. That gets them itching to go out again, but a few trips without a bite and they are looking for the XBox controller.

I keep hearing that Telegraph Narrows is a great spot, so I have this theory that my boat/lure choice/children/my ugly mug are chasing the fish directly on to the hooks of the boats that are fishing near me. =) Good news for them, which they seem to appreciate as they are all smiles each time me out with the two kids.

We fish mainly north of the markers by the two islands (one has the lighthouse on it) and occasionally hit the pilings of the highway 49 bridge for bass. We have spent some time at Q42 (by Foster's Fishing), but never came away with anything near Q42.

I've tried worms, which do seem to end up at least getting the kids a perch or a panfish. I've tried crankbaits, spinners etc., all with little success.

Recently, on the suggestion of the folks at Foster's we tried a bottom bouncer. I used worms and had some success catching a couple of small walleye and some nice bass. Surprisingly, we catch more on the Berkeley Gulp baits than on worms.

Anyhoo.... Hello, and thanks for making this great resource available to a family that is new to the sport.

John --aka Boomjack

Post subject: fishing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

John;

Welcome back to the area and welcome to the board.

This is a graet area to raise kids. As long as kids catch fish of any type

they seem to be happy.

Leon :lol: :lol:

banner ad
 Post subject: Welcome aboard
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Boomjack,
Welcome to the board, always nice to see a lurker stepping out from the shadows lol! I have had good luck fishing the pilings at the deseronto bridge. Usually with tubes and grubs. The 2nd and 3rd pilings on the south side usually have some smallmouth sitting on them. From time to time big schools of crappie hang out there as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

welcome aboard
the narrows are our favorite spot
we have good luck during may part of june then sept
with #9 black and silver shad raps @ 1.2-1.3 mph to the north side of the red markers [trolling both directions] depth of 11 to 13'
hope this helps u some
bluedog

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:14 pm 
Guppy

bluedog wrote:
welcome aboard
the narrows are our favorite spot
we have good luck during may part of june then sept
with #9 black and silver shad raps @ 1.2-1.3 mph to the north side of the red markers [trolling both directions] depth of 11 to 13'
hope this helps u some
bluedog

Thanks gents,

I had the in-laws down this weekend and took their kids out for a couple of hours. They nabbed a couple of large bass while working the "narrows" and that gave them some stories to take home with them.

There were very few boats out. In the entire time we were out we only had two other boats fishing the narrows.

Thanks again,

John --aka Boomjack

banner ad
 Post subject: Welcome to the Board
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:36 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Always happy to have lurkers register and tell us about themselves.

Taking the kids fishing will be the best thing you can do for them.

Don't have much chance to fish the Narrows personally, but others over the years have done very well there.

Good spot for the fall as all the fish heading to Belleville/Trenton have to go by you.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Board
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:36 pm 
Guppy

Superdad wrote:
Always happy to have lurkers register and tell us about themselves.

Taking the kids fishing will be the best thing you can do for them.

Don't have much chance to fish the Narrows personally, but others over the years have done very well there.

Good spot for the fall as all the fish heading to Belleville/Trenton have to go by you.

There seem to be bass all over the place here, but Walleye, not so much.

A couple of the gents who have been out have said they had some luck by Q42 and by the "Old Cannery". I haven't tried those spots yet, but I'll get to them.

It would probably only take a short while for us to scoot down the Reach and try out Hay Bay. I'll have to give it a go when I have an afternoon or morning without work rearing its ugly head.

John aka--Boomjack

banner ad
banner ad