Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cormorants
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:54 am 
Walleye Angler

Hi all.

Does anyone have any pictures of the destruction the cormorants are causing?? You guys are all over the area there, hunting and fishing. I would guess you folks know of all those spots nobody hears about.

Fall is likely not the best time of year to get a good idea of their destructive nature. But I have to ask.

Any help in this matter would appreciated.

thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:37 am 
Walleye Master

i'll see if i can find a picture...

although its not BoQ, here at our local bay off Ontario, Hamilton Bay, the cormorants have killed a section of tree's, and left them 'snowy looking'...

their acidic *** has eaten into the trees, making them look white and snowcovered....

i actually thought my eyes were playing tricks on me this summer, when from a distance i saw what looked to be a section of forest covered in snow...

as i approached it, the air began to stink, and the water turned to a pea soup green....

gross.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:46 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Slug,

I have a few....I'll try to post them here.

I took them in June. They're of the latest destruction of 1 more of the Brothers Island across from Collins Bay. In case you haven't seen the far island (away from Kingston), it's been totally destroyed.

May I ask why you're looking?

CHEERS!

banner ad
 Post subject: Destruction
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:34 am 
Guppy

I don't have a decent pic, but here is one on the BOQ in front of Snake Island. You can see all the birds on the trees in the background, they've been killing for a while now.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Here they are....if this works.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

I know there are a lot of publications on these “Cormorant” things. Those publications, most of which are in magazines, “we” the “red necks” read. The fact that some people are crying over the cull of this menace is unbelievable! I wonder, if they, actually have any idea of what is really happening. Or, are they crying from their armchair. Some folks, as soon as the nasty word “gun” comes up, redneck follows. For example the bear hunt...I wouldn’t want to explain to my daughter why that pretty bear just killed the family pet. And it was good to see they allowed a dear hunt in the county. How many car wrecks has that prevented?? A balance must be applied.

There are all kinds of offers to open new 20 MB websites for “FREE”. Online, is the media of the future. A picture is worth 1000 words. One guy can’t gather all that info. And you can’t count on an institution that is afraid of correctness above what is clearly right or wrong. Maybe there is some hope of intelligent action through those avenues.

My salmon are monsters compared to the ones caught in Georgian Bay. I have been told my salmon eat better. Cormorants are blamed due to the lack of bait fish in that area. Has that acidic bird crap effected the ph levels of the shallows in spring?? The spring “carp kill” posts here... so what’s up? Sturgeon lake had a very large spring kill in the shallows. But the climate factor is reasonable. -45 vs 6-8' of water. Anybody keep aquarium fish?? How’s those breeders.

What the heck do I know? I work, got a family and so on. Like who don’t?? Just for this temporary window of somewhat free time I have, there are some old questions that have bugged me.

For some reason the Quinte is having trouble with resident walleye populations. It’s old news, that walleye are shy in bright light and clear water. Taking in consideration the duration of the slot program. Those little 15-18" fish and the odd old blood, are what you’re catching. Without the help of the slot, you’re fishing on borrowed fish.

There is a regiment of respectable anglers here. Clever, and determined anglers. With that kind of experience and knowledge, something positive must be possible. Just a thought. If you think it’s worth a try, let’s get some nasty pics. and shame these so called naturalists back to reality. I’m gonna retire in 10 or so years. I’d like to think I’ll be able to take the grandkids out for a fish, like my Dad did with me, and I have with my kids.

This is a url if you have trouble posting pics. http://photobucket.com/ “FREE”

Gabby Hays says

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:13 am 
Walleye Wisdom

When I took these pictures, there were a lot of dead cormorants floating in the water.

A couple of weeks earlier, I heard a major amount of gun shots coming from the Brothers Islands area. I'm pretty sure it's the islanders and concerned people that the cull isn't doing enough and taking matters into their own hands. It's common once a year to hear this going on.

Getting close to the islands is terrible. The stench is unbelievable.

The Brothers Islands are (were) such a beautiful site from land....it's too bad it's looking like the cormorants will destroy them unless more is done.

CHEERS!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:57 am 
Walleye Angler

This is one posting I have pasted on to another forum. Thanks guys and keep those nasty pics. coming.
==============================

I wish to show the destructive nature of these dirty birds, to everyone. Our American brothers have not wasted time on this problem. They are making an attempt to trim down this dirty birds population. While here in Canada, we have some naturalist crying about the cull of this menace. What are they thinking??!! They should be more concerned about the damage and destruction they are causing. We gotta ***** to be heard.

If you got a picture or a comment well post it. And share you concern. We have to shame these armchair cry babies back to reality.

Comments that I have received. I am slowly getting some pictures coming in and I will post them.

======================================================

"it's a terrible mess out there as you can see"

"We used to pull the boat up to the middle island, swim and relax on the beach there. Now, the smell is so bad, getting close to the island is all I can stomach."

"although its not BoQ, here at our local bay off Ontario, Hamilton Bay, the cormorants have killed a section of tree's, and left them 'snowy looking'... "

"their acidic **** has eaten into the trees, making them look white and snowcovered.... "

"I actually thought my eyes were playing tricks on me this summer, when from a distance i saw what looked to be a section of forest covered in snow... "

"as i approached it, the air began to stink, and the water turned to a pea soup green.... "

"They're of the latest destruction of 1 more of the Brothers Island across from Collins Bay. In case you haven't seen the far island (away from Kingston), it's been totally destroyed."

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for your interest, and comments on my cormorant post. :)

My goal was to at least get people talking again about this menace.
Most people think of them as just goofy black birds.
The beauty if any is only skin deep on that bird.

http://www.ofah.org/Cormorants/index.cfm more on the cormorant
http://www.ofah.org/Cormorants/Photos.cfm send nasty pics.here

#1) early stages of cormorant destruction
#2) an island destroyed by cormorants
#3) they dive and swim and eat like crazy

one more

Thanks again guys :)
tim

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 am 
Walleye Angler

is that bird carrying a gar ??? 8O

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:48 am 
Walleye Master

the first pic above illustrates the snowy look i was talking about.

banner ad
 Post subject: cormorants
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:00 am 
Baitfish

The arguments you guys present for the destruction of this bird would do well in court...a MONTY PYTHON court that is!
Lets see, they are black, ugly and they smell. Sorry , those aren.t valid reasons any more for killing things. Using that logic we could finally get rid of Mike Tyson...Oh and that stupid Dennis Rodman...he probably smells. They kill the trees. What are you guys a bunch of closet arbourists all of a sudden? Since when are you all so concerned about the welfare of some scraggly willows? You don,t own them or the land they,re on so what,s the problem? If they offend you, stay away.
Then there,s the matter of the white bird crap. According to recent studies of cormorants, stomach contents the great majority of their diet is gobies.
That white stuff is thousands of digested gobies which would otherwise be eating the young of our native species. The gobies are a much greater threat to the BOQ fishery than the birds but they are under water so you complainers just ignore them because you don,t see them.
On a related note, the crap is pure fertilizer which causes algae to bloom.
Algae as you know is a vital link in the food chain of invertabrates and fish fry and has been wiped out in recent years by the mussels. The bird crap is certainly not harming the waters, and if anything is adding much needed nutrients.
A last point is this misconception that they are a foreign or introduced species which of course is not true and just another bit of false information being spread around by misinformed people.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:09 pm 
Walleye Angler

Get a grip!! :roll: got any HP sause?

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:31 pm 
Perch

Wow Wulf, you sure broke out the big spoon with those comments!!! I don't think too many people who frequent this site are going to be standing in your corner on this one! Not that it's a requirement by any means, but I expect to see this thread grow and grow and get ugly!!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

There's more than enough
Quote:
pure fertilizer
for it to grow. Good grief.

banner ad
banner ad