Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Snaggers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm seeing alot of poor fishing etiquette as well as snagging going on at the dam in belleville. had 4 snaggers this morning come fish right in front of my wife and turn and tell her "at least WE know what we're doing" We had to leave because I started to have a raging temper and the urge to get a tire iron out of the trunk. I've yet to see a CO around and think they should be there daily during the salmon runs. think of all the money they could raise auctioning off fishing equipment and vehicles.
(by the way, I'd never whack someone with a tire iron, but sure felt like it today).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

You get em' Hoser!

It's one thing to fish that way but another to be offensive to others.

....I work with someone that had their island cottage broken into during the long weekend. They called the MNR after finding where the people that broke in stayed during the weekend, to report that they had destroyed many trees (chopped them down for no reason and threw them in the lake) and left the place in a terrible mess.

They found a football with a phone number that they passed off to MNR. They were told that they didn't have the people power to follow up so nothing would be done.

I have to admit, when I was a kid and not knowing better, I was a snagger at Spring Side Park :oops: My group of friends and I were never rude though and stayed away from the crowds.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:32 pm 
Perch

The MNR has created at "crimestoppers" type number where you can call for immediate response to violations;
1 877-847-7667 (toll free)
Should get some action on any related violations.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

yeah that was one thing that they were trying to catch fish like that, but that they had the WHOLE river with nobody there, they chose to stand directly in front of my wife on the bottom ledge, then to say that!!! I just lost it. they looked as though their parents were brother and sister (sorry, I couldn't resist :o )

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It's a shame.

.....I'm sorry though "their parents brother and sister?"

:lol:

BTW, Hoser.... I've heard the walleye are just starting to come in around the bridge near Foxborough, over the Moira? I've forgotten it's name right now.

CHEERS!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

really ??? cause I just gotta get away from the downtown scene, I'd love to try for ANY warmwater fish on my fly rod, maybe some deep diving clouser minnows for walleye. I'll risk getting skunked fishing for the sake of trying something new, as long as I get outside and have fun and relax. VERY interested in muskie as well.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

There are some equally unique individuals that fish at the falls in Napanee. They are there in the spring and fall (about 6- 12 regulars), and I swear that their DNA must be toxic, given the amounts of fish that I honestly suspect they consume. Trebles in te fall and anything goes in the spring (no enforcement staff visible at most times during the walleye spawn....and yes I know this very very well, even being 2000+ miles away).

I feel mildly sorry for some but for others I would like to at least see a few fines and CONFISCATING ALL EQUIPMENT. A little of this sprinkled with a bit of that, all it takes is a few tough sounding charges to be enforced, even if it means asking for ID including a band card.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well said Don. " unique individuals "

That's the combat fishing I hear about. On another forum, I posted a picture of my wife and her friend with salmon they caught in Port Hope. It was the girl's day out fishing. Another fisherlady posted this.

“Great to see other women here too....I was feeling very put out this past weekend when I had a young guy flip his cigarette butt at me (in the river!) saying that women had no place fishing, it's a man's sport.”

Sad....

She's kinda cool. She took her husband out for his first fish this year. 8O
Good for her. :D

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hoser, I'm sorry I can't think of the name of the bridge. I do know that it's past Walmart, going Norht for a ways. It's quite popular.

Around that area and down the river (towards Foxborough sp) is where I'll be fishing hopefully soon. We usually do great and last year, in one day, caught over 30 walleye. All on jigs and minnows so your idea of clouser minnows should be good.

Also, I know that the area holds musky too...never had that success myself but know of people that have.

I'll find out the name and get back to you in you're interested.

CHEERS!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

VERY interested :D must be quiet out there as well being out of the city, is it shallow enough for chestwaders??

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Honestly, I'm not sure about the depth if in waders.

......it's O'Briens Bridge.

If you're go towards Foxborough (sp) from this bridge, maybe along shore, there should be plently of good spots. I know there will be for pike and musky around the area. As for the walleye, we fish in 10-12 feet around the corner from the bridge.

I hope this helps....getting away from the City is always the best. Even when it's supposed to be the friendly one :lol:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

got an email back today from the MNR, they are going to make "surprise visits" to the Lott dam in belleville now. :wink:
thanks for the tip about walleye and muskie, legacy, i'm planning a day out there soon (probably next weekend)

banner ad
 Post subject: Good work hoser.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good work hoser.

Maybe they could give out some community service "shore clean up" along the usual fines etc.

A pal was just pitching in doing his own clean up, like most of us do. He found a small pike discarded in bushes.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Slug
Your idea is a very good one. It would be simple, manageable and actually have some side benifits for the entire community. It would be nice if this could be considered at some point, as part of the enforcement package.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:38 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Don.

Just a thought.

banner ad
banner ad