Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:04 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dr. Death
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

"Dr. Death" I here a lot about this "Dr. Death". I looked it up online and I found a "J-plug" Is that what it is a J-plug or a colour. I've tried those rigging for L. Ont. salmon. They're useless for salmon. But I have 3 black and purple RAC spoons :wink:
Could someone please sort this out for me.
thanks guys "slug"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:34 pm 
Walleye Fry

The lure is a Mann's Stretch 20+, the color is Dr.Death.

Post subject: Dr. Death
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks misterslim. Mystery solved. They got to be tricky to run on a rigger. I suspect if it was to tap the bottom, that's better than the cannon ball getting hung up. I've been trying a planer this year for rainbows out deep on L. Ont. I got zero so went back to fishing 40' down in 60-80' of water for chinooks. Maybe I'll try those combos during the spring opener next year.
thanks again misterslim

"slug" tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:20 am 
Minnow

That stretch 20 dives over 20 feet on it's own. No need for a downrigger with these. Don't forget, Dr death is a hot colour that everyone knows about, but some days, other colours work better. Do yourself a favour and get a good selection of deep divers for different conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:53 am 
Walleye Master

last fall, we were running the stretch 20 and 25s and taildancers, with gibbs clip on trolling weights.....

most of the biggen's were deeper than 30 feet last fall/winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:18 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks guys, all good advice.
Since the zebras and other things have come in to the Bay it's been a challenge getting those pickerel. I have always used things like live bait rigs, erie dearies, vibrax, CC shad, and jointed crank baits. I've read some on the L. Erie fishing and have saw those tricks working here. This spring if gas is somewhat reasonable, I will put together a new plan to fish the open water and pass up the old tried and true.
A friend jigged a pickerel up of the bottom in 60' I thought that was deep. Then another said he got some 75' down I was floored. I couldn't believe they where that deep.
thanks again Yo, misterslim, and steve-hamilton
"slug" tim :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:12 am 
Walleye

Slug Wrote:
Quote:
A friend jigged a pickerel up of the bottom in 60' I thought that was deep. Then another said he got some 75' down I was floored. I couldn't believe they where that deep

Hi Tim, There is no need to fish that deep there are plenty of fish in the 10 to 30 foot zone, if you fish that deep, you put the fish at risk,on the way up they can and will suffer from nitrigen narcososis(spelling :oops: ) the BENDS, bringing the fish up from deep water to fast ,will blow there air bags out there mouth and there eyes will pop, effectivly killing the fish, I'm not preching, just a freindly word of caution. Good luck on you trip let us know how you do :D :D :D

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

I normally fish shallow because of that very reason. I like the evening fish when they are close to shore. It's great to fish for the big boys deep off shore for a trophy, but I usually wait till they come in shallow and I can release them safely.

I have heard of walleyes being caught 60-75'+ I was amazed they were that deep. I have jigged them up from a little over 30' but I fish 6-12' most of the time in the evening. I may not hit all those trophy fish, but that's okay with me.

Thanks for the reply, and your concern about the perils of catching deep fish. I find it interesting to see the way some people handle fish that are to be released. Hands in the gills and blood all over. Image

Quote:
I'm not preching, just a freindly word of caution

I didn't think of taking it that way big-o :) Just good friendly advice.
sunfish - tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 pm 
Minnow

I scored on the Manns + 20 in all chartreuse