Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Dr.D & B.Muff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:47 am 
Baitfish

Hey Fellas,well I went out today and bought the 2 mann`s lures everyone is raving about.The thing is,they don`t look like anything special to me.My buds and I are coming next weekend,and I`ll put these things to the test.Also,I was wondering,are planer boards a must on quinte?Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Dr.D & B.Muff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:37 am 
Walleye Angler

DanS wrote:
Hey Fellas,well I went out today and bought the 2 mann`s lures everyone is raving about.The thing is,they don`t look like anything special to me.My buds and I are coming next weekend,and I`ll put these things to the test.Also,I was wondering,are planer boards a must on quinte?Cheers.

DanS...
Planer boards are a must on clear calm days and when the fish are in the top 20ft of the water column!

Good luck...

-et

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:19 am 
Baitfish

Thanks Tracker,you just talked me into a trip back to the tackle shop.How about the lures?Are they a good as everyone is claiming?Cheers

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Dr.D & B.Muff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:21 am 
Walleye Wisdom

DanS wrote:

Hey Dan,

we had 4 lines on the boards. We also had two out the chute just longlining. You should be ok if, you can keep things from getting tangled. That's the great thing about the boards. Not only do they get your line away from the boat, they get your lines spread out.

Another option for you with reasonable setup cost would be in-line boards.

Just remember, let a lot of line out when longlining, we had 150-200 out with most in the 200 range.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:45 am 
Minnow

With your Dr D and B-muff, test them beside the boat and make sure that they track straight down and not to the side before letting out your long lead. If they go to one side or the other at all, they need tuning. It takes some practice to get it right. There is no point trolling a lure that runs on it's side. To get the maximum depth and the best action out of a lure, check the lure and tune it when necessary every time you re-set a line

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

DanS wrote:
Thanks Tracker,you just talked me into a trip back to the tackle shop.How about the lures?Are they a good as everyone is claiming?Cheers

Hello DanS,
They seem to work for others...WIG was doing great with them last weekend.
I like to run Yozuri Crystal Minnows and Rapala Taildancers.

Good Luck!

cheers'

-et

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:18 pm 
Walleye

Hey DanS

If you get a few Manns strech 20's, you may want to change the hooks
Every fish we took on a Manns bent and broke the stock hooks, Eyetracker told me last year about the cheap hooks, I have now changed them all!!!, We had good luck on a black and siver walleye minnow also, the perch color one, all we caught was Sheepshead :evil: Good Luck, looking forward to you report when you return :D

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:14 pm 
Baitfish

Thanks for the tips guys.We`ll be staying at merlands,I have a 18ft white boat,with a relic 150 merc.If you see it at the dock stop in for a couple of wobbly pops.I will definitely post results of the trip.Cheers.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:14 pm 
Minnow

Big-o and eye tracker :

With what brand and/or style of hooks do you recommend we change out the Mann's hooks? Do you recommend Triple Grips at all? Is hook colour important? Thanks in advance.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Tomcat wrote:
Big-o and eye tracker :

With what brand and/or style of hooks do you recommend we change out the Mann's hooks? Do you recommend Triple Grips at all? Is hook colour important? Thanks in advance.

Hey Tomcat.. I use these myself..

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0030844.jsp

Haven't had any issues...yet :!: :D

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Tomcat wrote:
Big-o and eye tracker :

I use the Excalibur Tx3 Rotating Treble Hooks on all of my cranks...it is a personal preference. If you do use the triple grips (which are great for walleyes soft mouths) go one size larger then the stock hooks because of the smaller gap of the triple grips. The quinte walleye are pretty big on average so you need a good sized gap on your trebles.

cheers'

-et

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:20 pm 
Minnow

Thanks very much WIG and eye tracker. By the way, thanks for posting pics and sharing stories about the Quinte trip - I am ENVIOUS!!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:57 am 
Walleye Master

Hey.......... i used the crystal minnow this sprin in wellington off the dock and had alot of luck with it.............. never thought to troll the sucker though....... you put it on a ball. or just long line it? ............ PS cought some nice fish wensday night on the dock 8, and a 9 pounder using silver/black husky jerk........ not alot of top water action but seems a few fish made it in .. happy fishing guys

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:16 am 
Minnow

Grizzly:

How you opt to fish these lures depends to a large extent on the depth you're trying to reach. Most folks will fish the top 30 feet of the water column - because that's were the active fish tend to be, and fishing deeper than 30 feet will almost guarantee that walleyes won't survive being brought to the surface. According to Precision Trolling (Edition 7), the 3/8 oz Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow Deep Diver reaches 19 feet when longlined (10 lb test mono) 220 feet back, the 9/16 oz reaches 26 feet at 260 feet back and the 7/8 oz reaches 24 feet at 220 feet back..

banner ad
banner ad