Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:47 am 
Walleye Angler

I was icefishing while back home in the Quinte area and had a conversation with another poster about getting a floatsuit. Upon returning to my work near the west coast of Canada, I was sad to hear a story in the news about two fellows found dead in their floatsuits that had drifted onto Denman Island. Speculation leads me to think hypothermia or exposure, but this did help to reinforce the conversation I had while fishing back home recently.

I am still going to get one, and thankfully fairly cautious for the most part. Just a note for my fellow ice fishers. Be well and be safe.

PS. On a side note, I will hopefully soon be trying icefishing here.....either tiny rainbows locally, or for some larger brookies that will hopefully be cooperative. (near Hope at a much higher altitude...grass is green and very wet here.....24 days rain appaently)

Regards
Don Stokes

Post subject: Hi There
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:03 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Hi Don,

Saw you were home(Napanee) for Xmas and that you got out ice fishing on Quinte.

Perhaps we'll cross paths when you;re back for the summer trip east.

Take care and tight lines

David aka Superdad

Post subject: floatsuits
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:25 pm 
Walleye

A few years ago my nephew and godson went missing while duckhunting. My nephew wearing a one piece suit survived 26 hours in Lake Ontario in October. Our Godson in a floater coat did not survive. During the search for the boys we were with Coast Guard officers and got to talking about floatsuits. The two comments that stick in my mind were that they did not like the coats or two piece suits because they were only a glorified life jacket and provided little protection against hypothermia. The other comment was that most people buy their suits way too big. They should only be big enough to perform the most basic functions in the boat or on the ice, the idea being that this limits the water next to your body and slows hypothermia. I now have a very good and tight suit, but you know what? I'd rather be a little uncomfortable reeling in a fish and know that I've got much better odds of survival should the worst happen.

take the grandkids fishin

banner ad